Phil Jackson Knows Who He Wants To Draft

Broadway

All Star
Amundsen as is always being mentioned in the broadcasts has had a bad March so he's the same player that has changed teams like underwear. Unless it's for the vets min I wouldn't bring him back. Bargs has put up the best numbers by far don't be surprised if he's back, he at least makes PJ think about it.

His numbers are empty season fodder stats. You have to be able to see it for what it is. Could he be back, sure anything is possible because of our very delicate situation but it's not something Phil should seek out at all. As far as the others they are 10, 11, 12th men and nothing has changed there either. But they could be the ones most likely back not Bargs.

Broadway

All Star
Bargnani tonight 1-9fg...lol this clown is virtually a double negative if he doesn't get to shoot more than 10fga/gm. He rebounds like a Toddler.

Now ask yourself how does anyone think he'd perform in his natural reduced role on a team that's rebuilt by Phil's standards? Like the Pure Garbage he is.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
I am down to Towns or Russell as my top choices. It is all about chemistry and projected FA acquisitions. If you assume the top attainable big in free agency is Greg Monroe, the case becomes clearer.

No matter how good Okafor becomes, his only real skill is as a post-up center, and Monroe does this better right now, and also defends better. So by adding Towns as a PF, you now have complimentary offensive players, who can both defend; while with Okafor you have players with duplicate offensive skills, at a duplicate position, with a weaker defense and a hole at PF.

I can see getting Monroe and Draymond Green in free agency and drafting D'Angelo Russell instead, especially if we end up with the third or fourth pick rather than a top-two pick. The core of Monroe, Green, Anthony, and Russell may be better than the core of Monroe, Towns, Anthony, and Rondo; for instance.

Russell may be a better pick than Towns in the long term, especially if luring Green, LaMarcus Aldridge, or Durant are possible at the PF. Towns is the safer pick, but you then have to address the back court in free agency, along with making Greg Monroe an offer.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
I am down to Towns or Russell as my top choices. It is all about chemistry and projected FA acquisitions. If you assume the top attainable big in free agency is Greg Monroe, the case becomes clearer.

No matter how good Okafor becomes, his only real skill is as a post-up center, and Monroe does this better right now, and also defends better. So by adding Towns as a PF, you now have complimentary offensive players, who can both defend; while with Okafor you have players with duplicate offensive skills, at a duplicate position, with a weaker defense and a hole at PF.

I can see getting Monroe and Draymond Green in free agency and drafting D'Angelo Russell instead, especially if we end up with the third or fourth pick rather than a top-two pick. The core of Monroe, Green, Anthony, and Russell may be better than the core of Monroe, Towns, Anthony, and Rondo; for instance.

Russell may be a better pick than Towns in the long term, especially if luring Green, LaMarcus Aldridge, or Durant are possible at the PF. Towns is the safer pick, but you then have to address the back court in free agency, along with making Greg Monroe an offer.

It would make sense to take Okafor over Monroe based on the difference in COST, AGE, and potential UPSIDE. Okafor probably isn't far off, if not equal to Monroe now but with the probable edge favoring Monroe you still pick Okafor.

We're not getting these 6 free agents (Gasol, Aldridge, Butler, Green, Leonard, Durant) please refrain from including them in any scenario. It's not happening.

Last edited:
It would make sense to take Okafor over Monroe based on the difference in COST, AGE, and potential UPSIDE. Okafor probably isn't far off, if not equal to Monroe now but with the probable edge favoring Monroe you still pick Okafor.

We're not getting these 6 free agents (Gasol, Aldridge, Butler, Green, Leonard, Durant) please refrain from including them in any scenario. It's not happening.

I still say that I could see either Butler or Green ending up on another team this offseason, because, for whatever reason, I see Golden State and/or Chicago being stingy with max contracts. But yeah, I don't see any scenarios where they come to New York.

Broadway

All Star
I still say that I could see either Butler or Green ending up on another team this offseason, because, for whatever reason, I see Golden State and/or Chicago being stingy with max contracts. But yeah, I don't see any scenarios where they come to New York.

There has been no recent history of stinginess from Golden State nor Chicago in the past 5-7yrs none at all. All you have to do is look at the contracts they've shelled out over this span of time and see they most certainly haven't. Then factor spike in cap in about 2yrs.

There has been no recent history of stinginess from Golden State nor Chicago in the past 5-7yrs none at all. All you have to do is look at the contracts they've shelled out over this span of time and see they most certainly haven't. Then factor spike in cap in about 2yrs.

Chicago and Golden State have been regular luxury cap teams the last 5 to 7 years? Not that I can recall. Golden State has 64 million on the books for next season already with Curry, Iguodala, Klay, Bogut, and Lee and you don't think they will at least blink a couple teams before giving Green a max contract and making him the highest paid player on the team for next season? Chicago already has over 55 million on the books for next season and you don't think they will possibly hesitate before offering Butler a max deal? The big salary cap 2 seasons from now may not affect teams' willingness to shell out huge sums next season as much as you would think.

Broadway

All Star
Chicago and Golden State have been regular luxury cap teams the last 5 to 7 years? Not that I can recall. Golden State has 64 million on the books for next season already with Curry, Iguodala, Klay, Bogut, and Lee and you don't think they will at least blink a couple teams before giving Green a max contract and making him the highest paid player on the team for next season? Chicago already has over 55 million on the books for next season and you don't think they will possibly hesitate before offering Butler a max deal? The big salary cap 2 seasons from now may not affect teams' willingness to shell out huge sums next season as much as you would think.

Chicago was going to give Melo a Max contract so there's the evidence they would have paid Tax

GSW would only be punitive for the Tax for 1 season(as would Chicago), that's if they don't make any trades and they have players team's would want.

I used to think the same at season's begin but Green has clearly identified himself as the Linchpin for their team, he's going nowhere. From what I read neither player wants to leave, just like when our free agent Melo didn't want to leave. Stephen A. Smith recently reported from his sources Phil has almost no shot at landing any Big Name free agent.

Chicago was going to give Melo a Max contract so there's the evidence they would have paid Tax

GSW would only be punitive for the Tax for 1 season(as would Chicago), that's if they don't make any trades and they have players team's would want.

I used to think the same at season's begin but Green has clearly identified himself as the Linchpin for their team, he's going nowhere. From what I read neither player wants to leave, just like when our free agent Melo didn't want to leave. Stephen A. Smith recently reported from his sources Phil has almost no shot at landing any Big Name free agent.

Stephen A. Smith of course would take credit for reporting what most of us already know which is that we're not in play for any major free agents this offseason. Still, I'm not convinced that other teams won't be able to lure away some of the top names. I guess it's a moot point for us.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I don't understand why Philadelphia traded a young All-Star PG, Holiday, when their whole thing has been youth for the last few years. The young PG they do draft to replace him with for the future, Carter-Williams, isn't on the team anymore already. I'm no Sixers expert, but it seems odd.

Broadway

All Star
I don't understand why Philadelphia traded a young All-Star PG, Holiday, when their whole thing has been youth for the last few years. The young PG they do draft to replace him with for the future, Carter-Williams, isn't on the team anymore already. I'm no Sixers expert, but it seems odd.

Probably because Holiday had extension money on the table and they had nothing in the cupboards really.

As far as MCW they've probably scouted this yrs college prospects and reasoned the ones coming in will be just as good if not better upon arrival to the league.

Jrue Holiday played kind of crappy last yr and hasn't played almost all yr this, meanwhile Noel had a strong comeback rookie season. Sixers also got a 2014 1st rounder out of the deal I believe drafting Dario Saric with the selection.

Not saying they have made any major headway with moves but what's to see better had they kept those previous situations as is?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Probably because Holiday had extension money on the table and they had nothing in the cupboards really.

As far as MCW they've probably scouted this yrs college prospects and reasoned the ones coming in will be just as good if not better upon arrival to the league.

Jrue Holiday played kind of crappy last yr and hasn't played almost all yr this, meanwhile Noel had a strong comeback rookie season. Sixers also got a 2014 1st rounder out of the deal I believe drafting Dario Saric with the selection.

Not saying they have made any major headway with moves but what's to see better had they kept those previous situations as is?
Some of that may be true, and they might wind up with a much better situation and have a lot of success. It's an interesting situation. When do they start trying to have stability though? That's important among any team, from rookies to veterans. They gotta try to start taking the next step soon. With the return of Embiid and their first round pick, perhaps next season is when they do.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Bargnani tonight 1-9fg...lol this clown is virtually a double negative if he doesn't get to shoot more than 10fga/gm. He rebounds like a Toddler.

Now ask yourself how does anyone think he'd perform in his natural reduced role on a team that's rebuilt by Phil's standards? Like the Pure Garbage he is.
Bargs follows with a 25pt 8rb 4 blocks night and DFish saying he's a talented player that would be welcomed back. I get the hate for Bargs and I've hated him myself but If all the past 40 games have been is an audition for players the Knicks want to keep, Bargs has passed the audition.

Red

TYPE-A
Bargs follows with a 25pt 8rb 4 blocks night and DFish saying he's a talented player that would be welcomed back. I get the hate for Bargs and I've hated him myself but If all the past 40 games have been is an audition for players the Knicks want to keep, Bargs has passed the audition.

Andrea bargnani however enticing it may seem cannot and should not be on this team. He is soft; his body is brittle; and could not be relied upon.

Added that our entire primary focus should be on the STARTING 5, with the 3 locked up, making that 1,2,4,5, Andrea should be nowhere near anyone's mind.

He had his chance and as far as I'm concerned IS NOT the type of player we should consider..not for a second! GTFOH. I don't care if he scored 50 on 100% shooting!

Bargnani recent performance is like calling the guy at the fair shooting water into a clowns mouth to inflate a balloon a sharp shooter. Sorry Bargs, the war is over and you came outside when the dust settled. Bye.

As duke on 2k says, "I need sharks".

tiger0330

Legend
Andrea bargnani however enticing it may seem cannot and should not be on this team. He is soft; his body is brittle; and could not be relied upon.

Added that our entire primary focus should be on the STARTING 5, with the 3 locked up, making that 1,2,4,5, Andrea should be nowhere near anyone's mind.

He had his chance and as far as I'm concerned IS NOT the type of player we should consider..not for a second! GTFOH. I don't care if he scored 50 on 100% shooting!

Bargnani recent performance is like calling the guy at the fair shooting water into a clowns mouth to inflate a balloon a sharp shooter. Sorry Bargs, the war is over and you came outside when the dust settled. Bye.

Red I tend to agree with you about Bargs. I did write that it would make me wonder about the Knick brain trust if they think Bargs and Calderon could be important pieces in the Knicks rebuild. I still think that about Calderon, PJ can't get anything back for Bargs but he should be trying to unload Calderon, if he unloaded JR and Shump for practically nothing he should be doing the same for JC.

Tkf

Benchwarmer
EXACTLY... I would take WCS + Winslow-Grant-Kaminsky over Towns or Okafor. No doubt. I a way, JAX hinted at this when he talked about the need for a defensive-minded presence in the middle of the paint, like T-Chandler (He said).

maybe I will be wrong about Kaminsky, but the dude is a big doof... he has one move that everyone knows, that crap may work on the collegiate level with 35 second shot clocks and refs that call games very tight, but on the next level, you may be looking at a jason smith or bargnani.. No thanks, we have enough of those guys already.

If the knicks don't get a top two pick, I say trade down. All the assets we gave up for fatmelo, including picks, have come back to bite us, as I said would happen years ago.. This team doesn't have enough talent for just one top pick and an average free agent to come in along with the ball hog carmelo and make the knicks a playoff team.

If you can't get okafor, trade down, get multiple picks, stock pile cheap talent.. Look at the sixers, everyone of their young players are better than anyone we have on our team out side of fatmelo, and I only give him that much credit because he has been an allstar..

But when you look at these teams around the league, they can boast one or two blue chip young pieces, and guess what, they too will be drafting high like us and oh, they too have cap space...

another example, what happens if the wolves win the lottery? they already have young pieces in rubio, Dieng, and a stud in Wiggins. We have nothing close to that....

This idea of a quick fix, with a free agent like greg monroe(rofl this guy will be another high paid slug) a top pick and carmelo is laughable... first of all the fact that fatmelo is still on this team is disgusting, and trying to construct a winning team with this guy sucking up a ton of cap room and shot opportunities is depressing.

The knicks need okafor, and they also need to find a way to get picks for next year, they need to infuse this team with real young blue chip talent. Guys like galloway are ok, as is Hardaway, but they are not the kind of culture changing young talent we need. Collectively we need a group of young players that will force change and new leadership... to the point where they make guys like fatmelo irrelevant... hoping a guy like okafor and monroe alone can do that is not a recipe for success.. But if okafor is there, you take him of course.. resist the urge for a guy like monroe and use the money on younger lower priced pieces, aim to be really good over the next couple of years..

by then maybe phil will be gone, fisher and maybe carmelo traded, but who cares... hopefully there is a good enough foundation of young blue chip talent here for the next GM and coach to take to the next level, ala Steve kerr and the warriors..

Tkf

Benchwarmer

I agree, Bargnani should be gone , honestly should have been gone before the season started!!!

The focus should be on the starting 5, that is true, but nothing should be "locked up" we should treat this situation like we are starting over completely. Accumulating real high ceiling young talent, or young vets that still have that breakout year on the horizon. Hope that carmelo never comes back, and phil goes to his montana ranch and never finds his way back to MSG.

I would buy out calderon and tell him we will ship his Sh*t to him!!! clean slate this mess as much as possible..

now with that said, the sad truth is, we may be forced into trying to sign guys like smith and shved and even bargs just to fill out our roster. Guys are not running to play here in NY, even with our cap space, and we have to fill out a roster. the only good thing that can come out of that is keeping these guys on a discount.. but honestly, we overpaid fisher, we gave phil a ton of money, and we gave carmelo the most ridiculous deal a team could pay for a guy like that... why would anyone play here for a penny less than what they can get out of NY? This I see as a major problem regardless of who we sign....

Red

TYPE-A
I agree, Bargnani should be gone , honestly should have been gone before the season started!!!

The focus should be on the starting 5, that is true, but nothing should be "locked up" we should treat this situation like we are starting over completely. Accumulating real high ceiling young talent, or young vets that still have that breakout year on the horizon. Hope that carmelo never comes back, and phil goes to his montana ranch and never finds his way back to MSG.

I would buy out calderon and tell him we will ship his Sh*t to him!!! clean slate this mess as much as possible..

now with that said, the sad truth is, we may be forced into trying to sign guys like smith and shved and even bargs just to fill out our roster. Guys are not running to play here in NY, even with our cap space, and we have to fill out a roster. the only good thing that can come out of that is keeping these guys on a discount.. but honestly, we overpaid fisher, we gave phil a ton of money, and we gave carmelo the most ridiculous deal a team could pay for a guy like that... why would anyone play here for a penny less than what they can get out of NY? This I see as a major problem regardless of who we sign....

Even if we buy Calderon out I believe he still counts against the cap. But we have pieces in THJ and Early, and a trade exception to offer someone for taking Calderon.

And right now NY doesn't seem that exciting to FA's but who knows how we look after the draft with all the possible scenarios? My strategy would be just like Miami's; I'm not calling FA's one by one. I'm having a sit down with 2 and 3 at a time. So when that potential FA is considering us he'll be reassured by the others presence such as

Gasol & Butler (both are rfa and both are a long shot and both my favs for us)

Or Monroe and Butler

Or Gasol and Rondo

Etc... so when we meet all of our new big three are in agreement. My question to each of those listed above is who do you have on your current team (or going forward) better than a team of Gasol - Melo - Butler - Top rookie? Or Monroe-Melo-Rondo - Top rookie?

Not one can say they're current team is better. Then I would ask them, if with them signed, is their current team better than CLE, SA, or maybe GS, or OKC, or HOU?

If they can tell the truth the answer is no. No current or revamped situation could be better than pairing with Melo and the Knicks.

I'll also take Green but he's low on my list due to being only 6'8".

Broadway

All Star

If Bargs was a 1-3yr player, you'd and Fisher would be on to something but he's not.

He has not passed the audition. Any team falling for this crap deserves to get burned to the highest degree. He wants to stay in the league then revert back to his valueless self. He's hungry

You see how Amundson and Lance came back to earth? Bargs will plummet faster and harder by first few weeks of next season or better yet be hurt to start the season.

tracy-morgan-plum-no-o.gif

lol placing stock on what he did against the Sixers. Please wise up and see this for what it is. He's going to really mess up someone's cap situation if any team signs him for more the Vet Min money.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post

Bargs performance didnt pass any keeper test in my book .. Bargs and J.Smith stats vs the D.League 76ers team, a team who also are playing hard to gain 62 losses too. com'on

Galloway consistent performance has keeper written on it.
Cole Aldridge bigbody in the paint has keeper written on it.
Admunson & Acy performance are on and off to depend on in a rotation.
The Hornets are having problems with SF/SG-Lance Stephenson contract
The Knicks are having problem with Calderon & Tim Hardaway Jr. contracts.
Problems could be solved on draft night.
I dont want Detroits RFA Greg Monroe (another Bargs) .. I rather have Detroits RFA Reggie Jackson

If the Knicks cant get Okafor .. trade down to select "Winslow"