Phil Jackson Knows Who He Wants To Draft

Red

TYPE-A
Say what????????????????????????????

Yes think about it. All successful bigs Need that knockdown shooter to get the chip.
Shaq needed Kobe/Wade
Dallas needed Dirk
Celtics needed Pierce/Allen
Duncan needs Leonard/ Manu

Etc...

It's the formula. But in the triangle we can use someone who's some what limited yet serviceable. So if Gasol plans on winning a chip he'll need to be paired with this type and there aren't that many and even less considering they must be available. The triangle doesn't require a max contract player at center.

But just look at the last champions. SA, MIA,
BOS, LA

All have a knockdown shooter (s). Yes they had very good to great bigs but imo without those wing players (amongst other things) they would not have won.
We have such a shooter and they're rare.

Broadway

All Star
Red stop ducking and diving....btw your last post has plenty of holes in it

I asked you a point blank question...."Why didn't Pau sign here when Phil courted him and Melo endorsed the move?"

Broadway

All Star
Here is something to chomp on from the horses mouth

“I haven’t ruled anything out because I haven’t thought about anything so it would be [premature],” Gasol told a small group of reporters after the Grizzlies’ morning practice at Madison Square Garden. “The reports and stuff like that, I don’t know where they come from because in my mind I haven’t thought about it. I have no [idea] how they can go there. I don’t know. … We’re in the final stretch of the regular season and we want to get in a good feeling for the playoffs so, trust me, I’m not worrying or thinking about those things yet.” …

If he re-signs with the Grizzlies, Gasol can ink a max contract that starts at around $18 million in the first season with 7.5 percent raises in each season thereafter. If he signed with the Knicks or any other club, his max contract would be for four years starting at around $18 million in the first season with annual raises of 4.5 percent. …

“I know what [the Knicks] are trying to accomplish as a team, but like I said we’re trying to accomplish the same thing in Memphis and we’re trying to get to have a chance to go for a ring,” Gasol said. “I see this [Knicks] team being in the same spot we were six or seven years ago when we were winning 20 games and we were trying to create something for the future.”

and

"I don’t know what factors will play into my decision but the factors that are there today, you can’t change the past," Gasol said. "You can’t change where I’ve been for the majority of my life as an adult. I came to Memphis when I was 16. My family’s been tied to the franchise since the franchise has been in Memphis. You can’t change that.

"I don’t know what the future holds but I know what the past and the present is. I think that’s pretty clear and we’ll see how it goes going forward we’ll see what factors go into my decision. I haven’t put them down or written them down or even thought about them because I think there’s no time. Like I said, it’s just not a process you can go through in the season."

I think those comments show you where his heart is.... although he'll entertain offers to ensure his market value stays high to remain in Memphis

Red

TYPE-A
Red stop ducking and diving....btw your last post has plenty of holes in it

I asked you a point blank question...."Why didn't Pau sign here when Phil courted him and Melo endorsed the move?"

I answered. Money. Combine that with the fact that Pau already won a chip and the fact that we offered him a below market value contract due to our cap constraints at the time, and there's your answer.

He's not hungry enough to accept the offer we made.

And I'll repeat: Acquiring ANY RFA is always a long shot which is the purpose as far as the CBA is concerned. But still possible.

Broadway

All Star
I answered. Money. Combine that with the fact that Pau already won a chip and the fact that we offered him a below market value contract due to our cap constraints at the time, and there's your answer.

He's not hungry enough to accept the offer we made.

And I'll repeat: Acquiring ANY RFA is always a long shot which is the purpose as far as the CBA is concerned. But still possible.

It's only possible if the player wants to leave or the team doesn't want him back. In this case neither applies to Gasol therefore impossible. Gasol isn't a RFA btw

Red

TYPE-A
Here is something to chomp on from the horses mouth

and

I think those comments show you where his heart is.... although he'll entertain offers to ensure his market value stays high to remain in Memphis

That's fine. And it's great to have options like we have so whatever.

Let's see how he feels when he's playing golf in a few weeks.

Red

TYPE-A
It's only possible if the player wants to leave or the team doesn't want him back. In this case neither applies to Gasol therefore impossible. Gasol is a RFA btw

Duh. You're pessimistic; I'm an optimist. And I could name plenty of other options that can work besides Gasol but he can't name plenty of AVAILABLE options for an allstar wing like Melo. So you see as I see it, he can lose there with his team, we can lose here without him. But combine him here with this (upcoming) team and he puts himself in position to compete in the weaker East division. But hey if he can't handle that, no worries.

I need sharks!

Broadway

All Star
Duh. You're pessimistic; I'm an optimist. And I could name plenty of other options that can work besides Gasol but he can't name plenty of AVAILABLE options for an allstar wing like Melo. So you see as I see it, he can lose there with his team, we can lose here without him. But combine him here with this (upcoming) team and he puts himself in position to compete in the weaker East division. But hey if he can't handle that, no worries.

I need sharks!

No you're a DREAMER I'm a REALIST big difference.

Gasol could join Atlanta who have cap space and Brooklyn's pick.

You're overrating our circumstances as supremely unique to the rest of the league, which is incorrect. It's only unique to us as a franchise because we haven't had these options in like decades. Nevertheless you have to accurately assess the landscape and individual circumstances leaguewide, which IMO you haven't done a good job of in this thread. You sound like someone who strums on a harp or plays the piano in a deep trance of romance

Red

TYPE-A
No you're a DREAMER I'm a REALIST big difference.

Gasol could join Atlanta who have cap space and Brooklyn's pick.

You're overrating our circumstances as supremely unique to the rest of the league, which is incorrect. It's only unique to us as a franchise because we haven't had these options in like decades. Nevertheless you have to accurately assess the landscape and individual circumstances leaguewide, which IMO you haven't done a good job of in this thread. You sound like someone who strums on a harp or plays the piano in a deep trance of romance

He could join ATL who:

1. Already have a center
2. Don't have a knockdown shooter / proven go to scorer (unless you consider Korver one, and he ain't Melo)
3. Don't have a proven system like the triangle
4. Isn't even in the discussion of big market teams

Sorry try again.

Going to ATL is like staying in Memphis.

You just cannot accept the fact that I believe in all possibilities and know that both you and I have no idea what the future holds. What you're doing is hedging your bet with the obvious more than likely outcome.

You're not a realist, you're Captain Obvious.

Stop wasting my time arguing.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
He could join ATL who:

1. Already have a center
2. Don't have a knockdown shooter / proven go to scorer (unless you consider Korver one, and he ain't Melo)

Sorry try again.

You just cannot accept the fact that I believe in all possibilities and know that both you and I have no idea what the future holds. What you're doing is hedging your bet with the obvious more than likely outcome.

Horford is a PF who can play(s) Center

Atl runs a Spurs prototype system...you know a system that has only won 5 chips...1 substitution and rebound away from 6 chips

Atl will win 60gms this yr without all the things you say they don't have

Atl is Top 3 in FG% and Top 2 in FG%(3pt)

Gasol has proven he doesn't have to play in a Big Market so going to Atl wouldn't be a big deal(remember I said he isn't leaving) but if he were why is Atl less desireable than New York

What you're doing is pulling your hair out and gnashing your teeth over the 1% chance he could leave.

I mean if it's about letting the cannons fire away at the other captain's ship let's remove Marc Gasol and focus more on Lebron..... since he has an opt out and go with the scenario of Cleveland failing in the playoffs, he being one of Melo's closest friends

Last edited:

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Yes think about it. All successful bigs Need that knockdown shooter to get the chip.
Shaq needed Kobe/Wade
Dallas needed Dirk
Celtics needed Pierce/Allen
Duncan needs Leonard/ Manu

Etc...

It's the formula. But in the triangle we can use someone who's some what limited yet serviceable. So if Gasol plans on winning a chip he'll need to be paired with this type and there aren't that many and even less considering they must be available. The triangle doesn't require a max contract player at center.

But just look at the last champions. SA, MIA,
BOS, LA

All have a knockdown shooter (s). Yes they had very good to great bigs but imo without those wing players (amongst other things) they would not have won.
We have such a shooter and they're rare.

something is wrong with this post.. first of all, those guys are not "knockdown shooters, except for allen" wade, kobe, etc, those guys are allstar two way players... carmelo is not a two way player, and he is not really a Knockdown shooter, he is a volume chucker.. Who really needs that.

Dirk was a rare breed but ultimate team player. give me a good big man and I will tell you I don't need anything like carmelo..

yes duncan had ginobili, but where in the heck is carmelo like any of these guys you mentioned? all of these guys for the most part were/ are efficient scorers, excellent passers, defenders, or all of the above..

carmelo is a no defense playing, no passing, volume chucker..... who needs that?

True the triangle doesnt need a max center but it helps to have a highly skilled big... and those guys are going for close to max money..

next, the triangle stinks, well let me say this, I think there are better offenses that are more forgiving with adjusting personnel than the triangle.

so if you don't have a damn good big, you better have a hell of a wing player... that is what phil had with MJ and kobe...we know that carmelo isn't in the same universe with MJ and even with Kobe flaws is not on the same planet with kobe...

Last edited:

Tkf

Benchwarmer
That's fine. And it's great to have options like we have so whatever.

Let's see how he feels when he's playing golf in a few weeks.

you keep saying that as if he is going to say. OK,now that the playoffs are done, let me go join a team that almost lost 70 games...

He may entertain other offers, but as broadway said, that may be to ensure that he gets max money from memphis..

There is a good chance he may lose in the first round, there is also a good chance memphis can be in the finals over the next few years including this one..

Gasol knows that... he is no dummy... NY is a tire fire, he wants no part of that.. early exits or not..

Tkf

Benchwarmer

I need sharks!

you keep saying what we have upcoming here? we just have one pick this year, an aging carmelo and calderon... That is it.. we have no pick next year and none in 2018!!! even if we hit a homerun with the pick this year, this team is still short on talent with carmelo sucking up a ton of cap room, and shots... realize the east is not going to be weak long.. the hawks are in great position, plus they too have a potential lottery pick or high pick this year as well.. The celtics are set up great with young talent and picks.. The sixers are in a very good position with picks and some blue chip young talent, the same with orlando.. all of those teams are already ahead of the knicks in terms of putting a winning core on the court in the near future..

Gasol is in good shape in memphis, joining carmelo in NY does not make his position better.. If any star comes here it will be for the benefit of guys like carmelo who just can't get it done.. and if that is the case those guys can just go somewhere else where they won't have to worry about carrying overpaid, overweight 24 mil slug players, rather join a franchise where they are the missing piece for a ring.. otherwise they stay put in a situation that is pretty damn good.. Memphis is in a very good situation!!!

Tkf

Benchwarmer
He could join ATL who:

1. Already have a center

Sorry try again.

why does korver have to be carmelo? who in the hell is carmelo? korver is better at what he does than crmelo is at what he does. whatever that is..

the hawks are on the verge of winning 6 games.. carmelo has never been on a team that won that many games.. soak that one up RED.

Horford is a PF playing center.. a guy like gasol just makes the hawks better because guys will actually be playing their proper positions and you could move horford for other pieces.. but again, those are just options when you have reasonably priced talent that can play both ends of the floor.. other teams value those pieces..

A proven system like the triangle? You are so brainwashed.. really? tell me, they use the same system that pop uses in San Antonio.. is that not prove enough? rofl.. the triangle is only proven to win with 4 of the top 50 players of all time.. Kobe, shaq, MJ and pippen... WE HAVE NOTHING CLOSE TO THAT. .AND PLEASE DON'T LOOK SILLY MENTIONING CARMELO!!!

It is one thing to be a fan.. It helps to be realistic as well..

Broadway

All Star
The irony of explaining to a Hawks fan they have no shot at landing Marc Gasol essentially because they don't "Have A Melo"

Red

TYPE-A
why does korver have to be carmelo? who in the hell is carmelo? korver is better at what he does than crmelo is at what he does. whatever that is..

the hawks are on the verge of winning 6 games.. carmelo has never been on a team that won that many games.. soak that one up RED.

Horford is a PF playing center.. a guy like gasol just makes the hawks better because guys will actually be playing their proper positions and you could move horford for other pieces.. but again, those are just options when you have reasonably priced talent that can play both ends of the floor.. other teams value those pieces..

A proven system like the triangle? You are so brainwashed.. really? tell me, they use the same system that pop uses in San Antonio.. is that not prove enough? rofl.. the triangle is only proven to win with 4 of the top 50 players of all time.. Kobe, shaq, MJ and pippen... WE HAVE NOTHING CLOSE TO THAT. .AND PLEASE DON'T LOOK SILLY MENTIONING CARMELO!!!

It is one thing to be a fan.. It helps to be realistic as well..

You just compared Kyle Korver to Carmelo Anthony. Lmao!

Thanks for that.

P.S. Pop's system has remnants of the Triangle. Don't forget what we ran back in the 70's. But then again as a non-fan (on a knicks fan forum no less) perhaps you're unaware.

Tkf

Benchwarmer
You just compared Kyle Korver to Carmelo Anthony. Lmao!

Thanks for that.

P.S. Pop's system has remnants of the Triangle. Don't forget what we ran back in the 70's. But then again as a non-fan (on a knicks fan forum no less) perhaps you're unaware.

First of all I was a kid in the 70's, I started following the knicks in the late 70's..... And I actually was a fan from then until we traded for the clown carmelo.

I said korver is better at what he does than carmelo is at what he does... call it what you want, but it seems as if you have no real answers here. You are emotionally invested in the knicks and carmelo to the point where you are just not rational.

carmelo is a slug. it is an insult actually comparing hardworking professional like kyle korver to such a loser..

it is funny how every irrational knick homer uses that line " you just compared "player x" to carmelo" LMAO

dude you sound silly....

I guess Broadway tossed you around so much in this thread he rattled some screws in that noggin of yours LOL

I get the criticism of Melo, but of all players, why use Korver as an example? The dude got an all-star spot and he is averaging 12 points on 49% shooting with 4 boards and 2.5 assists per game. Melo averaged 27 points on 45% shooting with 8 boards and 3 assists last season and everyone still said he sucks.

On top of everything else, Korver is 3 years older than Melo and until the last year or so he was often criticized for his poor defense. Where is anyone getting that he has this history of being a hard working, blue collar hero?

Seriously, I'm disgusted with Melo too after this season, but people exaggerate the greatness of every other player in the league when they want to tear him down.

Red

TYPE-A
First of all I was a kid in the 70's, I started following the knicks in the late 70's..... And I actually was a fan from then until we traded for the clown carmelo.

I said korver is better at what he does than carmelo is at what he does... call it what you want, but it seems as if you have no real answers here. You are emotionally invested in the knicks and carmelo to the point where you are just not rational.

carmelo is a slug. it is an insult actually comparing hardworking professional like kyle korver to such a loser..

it is funny how every irrational knick homer uses that line " you just compared "player x" to carmelo" LMAO

dude you sound silly....

I guess Broadway tossed you around so much in this thread he rattled some screws in that noggin of yours LOL

Yeah that's called a comparison. You and your boy are great at making yourself look foolish and silly.

Seems like reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

As your boy would say 'do your research', and stop posting your Knick-hate emo posts.

So what team do you like? We already know it's not the Knicks.