Toney Douglas

Hollinger's write up on douglas

Toney Douglas, Knicks
Apparently the "defense-optional" memo New York sends everybody never reached Douglas. On a team full of marginal defenders, Douglas' ferocious D stands out even more, and his role is increasing now with 34-year-old Chauncey Billups unlikely to bear the insane minutes load that Raymond Felton did.

He's not a natural point guard and he's a bit small for the 2, but at either spot he guards like crazy (witness the Orlando game last week, when Chris Duhon could barely get the ball across half court against him). Additionally, the Melo trade may benefit him by allowing him to play off the ball and spot up for 3s more, something he does quite well. He already has three 20-point games since the trade and he had only four such games before the trade.

Thank you kind sir. +1...

TD does have a similar tenacity defensively as Starks. IMHO. Offensively they're different. Starks looked to get to the rim more and could spot up shooting his jumper as well as shoot it off the dribble. TD seems to be more of a spot up shooter right now.

TD has to get the coaches trust. In many situations he'll make the safe pass instead of trying to create. I've seen at least 5 plays where he could lob the ball over the defense off a pic & roll for an alley oop but doesnt take the play. Once MDA stops yelling at him like a minion for every mistake this kid could blossom...

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I see TD developing nicely. He's not turning the ball over, his shot selection has been good, he gets to the rim and his d is solid.

I also hate the comparison to Starks. Not because he was this player I hold in lofty regard, (honestly, I always felt like he was the weakest link of the starters on those 90's teams) but because there respective games are so different..

TD is a tweener who's learning to and has the skills to play the PG full time some day. There's really not much difference between a young TD and a young Billups. Starks was a pure 2. That's the biggest contrast between TD and Starks.

TD also is a much better athlete & ball handler than Starks was -- yes already. He's just quicker and faster than Starks. I never thought much of Stark's handle. He always seemed to carry the ball. He was also one of the streakiest players i've ever seen. I hope & pray Tony develops into a more consistent player offensively.

Tony @ his core is a scorer. The thing I like about our current situation re: him is, he's in the hands of MDA, whom I consider to be a proven mentor of PG's, and Billups who has walked the path of the tweener and successfully morphed into an everyday PG. Tony has invaluable knowledge and experience at his disposal. This may bode well for the team and us @ fans.

He could be our PG of the future based on the influences he has currently, maybe not..

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
John Hollinger Adds Douglas To His All 2012 Team

Hollinger_John_35.jpg
Up-and-coming players to watch

A look at 10 relative unknowns who are turning the corner (PER Diem: March 8, 2011)

Toney Douglas, Knicks
Apparently the "defense-optional" memo New York sends everybody never reached Douglas. On a team full of marginal defenders, Douglas' ferocious D stands out even more, and his role is increasing now with 34-year-old Chauncey Billups unlikely to bear the insane minutes load that Raymond Felton did.

He's not a natural point guard and he's a bit small for the 2, but at either spot he guards like crazy (witness the Orlando game last week, when Chris Duhon could barely get the ball across half court against him). Additionally, the Melo trade may benefit him by allowing him to play off the ball and spot up for 3s more, something he does quite well. He already has three 20-point games since the trade and he had only four such games before the trade.

● This is only an excerpt that I found of Hollinger's Insider article.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Crazy⑧s;166031 said:
John Hollinger Adds Douglas To His All 2012 Team

Hollinger_John_35.jpg
Up-and-coming players to watch

A look at 10 relative unknowns who are turning the corner (PER Diem: March 8, 2011)

Toney Douglas, Knicks

● This is only an excerpt that I found of Hollinger's Insider article.

This was posted already ..

GoNYK127

Benchwarmer
Douglas has 18 points and 10 dimes with 3 minutes left. And we are 3-1 with him starting with the chance to go 4-1. Guys playing crazy good.

Last edited:

TheNYdude

Rookie
Has been learning and getting better, but he still has a good amount of maturing to do. He gets careless sometimes but I think this will just get better with time

knicks.

Rookie
Douglas has been playing well but you should not be taking these last second shots. Give it to melo and if your open then sure take it but off thedriblle w/ D in your face? no

GoNYK127

Benchwarmer
Douglas has been playing well but you should not be taking these last second shots. Give it to melo and if your open then sure take it but off the driblle w/ D in your face? no
Agreed 150%.. I have no idea why Douglas took 2 shots with under a minute 30 left to play.. Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me; but hey, we got the win. 4-1 with him as a starter, right? Billups is definitely helping Douglas' growth tremendously.

Sons of Thunder

Benchwarmer
Can you fault him? We was hot tonight until the entire team fizzled out in the fourth, and he was just doing what Chauncey told him to do. Be aggressive and confident. I think it's a good sign that he isn't afraid to put some weight on his shoulders instead of letting Melo/Stat make the high-pressure shots.

His pass that led to the turnover on the other hand....what was he thinking. Lazy left-handed pass through traffic...hopefully he'll work on things like this. In the end though it was a great performance. 18-10 is quite impressive and hopefully he can continue to produce even close to those numbers night-in, night-out.

Douglas is gonna make for one hell of a starting PG once 2012 comes around. Until then, he'll make for a GREAT backup PG and spark off the bench; on both sides of the ball. Kid is only a 2nd year player & has star written all over his game & style of play. I had great nights watching Douglas for FSU... The dude was out entire team. When we landed Toney Douglas I was on cloud 9 in the same types of ways as when the Jets drafted Leon Washington.

People can judge TD all they like, he gets nothing but respect & praise from me. The way he's helped the Knicks since Billups went down has been huge. He's a scoring machine out of the PG position but it was even better watching him put up 10 assists tonight. Under Billups & MDA? Over the next 2 years? Watch Douglas transform into a Rondo or maybe even Westbrook type of PG. He's still raw & young, but he's that good. Much better jump shot than Rondo too. TD will be a seasoned young talent once 2012 rolls around.

No way should we trade Douglas for CP3. CP3 has been injury prone & he's hurt right now. We don't need another max contract... I'm not worried about the PG position. Not when we have Melo & Amare. We need size & more size. Watching Dalembert right now for the Kings & he's playing Howard TOUGH. Makes me want a big man even more now.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Douglas being the starting PG, even though it's a few games, is huge for his career. He knows he has to pass a lot more. His decisions will improve with this, especially with Billups teaching him.

And, his defense has always been there.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
If Douglas shows he can one day take over the starting role, then obviously you try to strengthen the team in other weaker areas.

knicksin60

Starter
I'd take an injured Chris Paul over a healthy Toney Douglas any time. Chris Paul could average less points than Jared Jeffries for the Knicks and the Knicks would still be one of the top teams in the NBA with him distributing the ball.Toney Douglas could end up being a starter in the future, but if the Hornets' gm told me that all I had to do to acquire CP3 was send him TD, I would make that trade in a heartbeat.

Like I stated the moment I heard Billups was hurt... ''as long as Billups doesn't miss more than 7-9 games, & the Knicks find ways to win; this could end up becoming a blessing for both Douglas & the Knicks''.

I hope Billups is back for the Mavs game tomorrow, I love TD backing up both the Point & SG positions off the bench as our 6th man but one thing is for sure... Douglas just gained plenty of experience during the short time he replaced Billups.

Gallo who? Gallo would have been a 6th man off the bench to begin with after the addition of Carmelo. I love Gallo when he's hot, but I could never stand the European when he was missing every other night, standing around the 3 point line doing nothing, lack-luster defender etc etc. Douglas over Gallo all day as our 6th man off the bench. He has the abiliy & talents to help this team so much more! On both ends of the floor too. Sorry Gallo.. But I don't miss you. Not @ all.