Knicks will sign Tyson Chandler, use amnesty on Billups

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
I know this sounds crazy and I might only be suggesting this because its not my money, but wouldn't it make more sense to just deal with the lucury tax of Billups' contract this year in order to keep the amnesty clause in our back pocket?

The new tax rules don't apply for another two years.

I'd rather be able to use that on Amare's contract if something happens.

moving Billups isn't about "not wanting to pay him", it's about having room for someone younger/more-productive/less-injury-prone

smokes

Huge Member
I know this sounds crazy and I might only be suggesting this because its not my money, but wouldn't it make more sense to just deal with the lucury tax of Billups' contract this year in order to keep the amnesty clause in our back pocket?

The new tax rules don't apply for another two years.

I'd rather be able to use that on Amare's contract if something happens.

It's not about the luxury tax it's about being able to sign Chandler. We have no money to sign Chandler unless we shed salary via trade or amnesty clause.

If reports are true and the Mavs do not want Billups the only way it could work would be if a team under the cap wanted Billups we could get them to sign Chandler and trade him to us but that really makes no sense for the other team, if they are under the cap they have the chance to pick him up for less after we amnesty him.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
Dallas not taking Billups in a trade is a CRUSHER......we need to hold onto that amnesty clause....i just kno that if we dont have it next year, we're gonna feel REAL stupid

insanity4289

Benchwarmer
moving Billups isn't about "not wanting to pay him", it's about having room for someone younger/more-productive/less-injury-prone

With Chandler we really don't have much room to sign younger players anyway. And its just a 1 year deal.

It's not about the luxury tax it's about being able to sign Chandler. We have no money to sign Chandler unless we shed salary via trade or amnesty clause.

If reports are true and the Mavs do not want Billups the only way it could work would be if a team under the cap wanted Billups we could get them to sign Chandler and trade him to us but that really makes no sense for the other team, if they are under the cap they have the chance to pick him up for less after we amnesty him.

Your first sentence is contradictory. I don't know all the ins and outs about the salary cap in basketball so I could be wrong. But from what I have heard and read, the NBA has a soft cap meaning you can go over the limit but there is a ridiculous luxury tax.

My point is as a good business owner wouldn't it be worth it to spend the extra money on Billups, to 1. have the best pg you can possibly have this year, but more importantly hedge your risk on the chance that one of your more expensive investments (Amare and his bad knees), in a even more expensive luxury tax era, gets injured.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
Your first sentence is contradictory. I don't know all the ins and outs about the salary cap in basketball so I could be wrong. But from what I have thought, the NBA has a soft cap meaning you can go over but there is a ridiculous luxury tax.

when ur over the cap like the Knicks always are, you can't just OUTRIGHT sign a player, any player for that matter....UNLESS you sign-n-trade for that player, so basically, they get a new contract from a team and u give that team a comparable contract (financially) and get the player who was technically a free agent. You think LA was under the cap when they got guys like Shaq and Pau Gasol?

smokes

Huge Member
With Chandler we really don't have much room to sign younger players anyway. And its just a 1 year deal.

Your first sentence is contradictory. I don't know all the ins and outs about the salary cap in basketball so I could be wrong. But from what I have heard and read, the NBA has a soft cap meaning you can go over the limit but there is a ridiculous luxury tax.

My point is as a good business owner wouldn't it be worth it to spend the extra money on Billups, to 1. have the best pg you can possibly have this year, but more importantly hedge your risk on the chance that one of your more expensive investments (Amare and his bad knees), in a even more expensive luxury tax era, gets injured.

First off it's not a 1 year deal for Chandler, its a 5 year deal. If you're talking about Billups yes but next year they may not be such a wealth of good free agents to go after.

The luxury tax only kicks in a certain amount above the salary cap. We are not in luxury tax territory yet and its immaterial anyway. The point is this team needs a C and we have the opportunity to get one.

Yes it's going to suck to lose the amnesty clause that is a risk we are most likely going to have to take.

knicksin60

Starter
Dwight Howard will end up being traded to the Lakers for three Derek Fisher autographed basketballs and the ashes of Wilt Chamberlain.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
releasing Turiaf still means he counts toward the books. Trading Turiaf means we have to drug/sedate/hypnotize a GM into trading for him.....

Is his $ fully guaranteed tho? It's definitely the last year of his deal (he picked up his option) and if the whole $4M isn't guaranteed then we might be ok.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
Is his $ fully guaranteed tho? It's definitely the last year of his deal (he picked up his option) and if the whole $4M isn't guaranteed then we might be ok.

:facepalm: every contract before this new CBA was guaranteed, there is no "only half of it is guaranteed".......

insanity4289

Benchwarmer
when ur over the cap like the Knicks always are, you can't just OUTRIGHT sign a player, any player for that matter....UNLESS you sign-n-trade for that player, so basically, they get a new contract from a team and u give that team a comparable contract (financially) and get the player who was technically a free agent. You think LA was under the cap when they got guys like Shaq and Pau Gasol?

First off it's not a 1 year deal for Chandler, its a 5 year deal. If you're talking about Billups yes but next year they may not be such a wealth of good free agents to go after.

The luxury tax only kicks in a certain amount above the salary cap. We are not in luxury tax territory yet and its immaterial anyway. The point is this team needs a C and we have the opportunity to get one.

Yes it's going to suck to lose the amnesty clause that is a risk we are most likely going to have to take.

Thanks for explaining this. I just wasn't aware of the fact that you couldn't sign a player if you were over the cap. Which makes using the Amnesty clause a must, if we can't trade him.

KingCharles34

All Star
Dwight Howard will end up being traded to the Lakers for three Derek Fisher autographed basketballs and the ashes of Wilt Chamberlain.
I would dig up Wilt and go fishing with the worms that come out his body :smokin:

AlphaWolf-2963314_1611_930.jpg

smokes

Huge Member
:facepalm: every contract before this new CBA was guaranteed, there is no "only half of it is guaranteed".......

I think you're wrong about that, since PHX are waiving VC due to only 4 million of his current contract being guaranteed.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
Thanks for explaining this. I just wasn't aware of the fact that you couldn't sign a player if you were over the cap. Which makes using the Amnesty clause a must, if we can't trade him.

:thumbsup: We need to have a salary/payroll glossary on this website. Anytime you wanna propose something, you gotta go over it with the glossary, make sure it makes sense :lol:

Red

TYPE-A
releasing Turiaf still means he counts toward the books. Trading Turiaf means we have to drug/sedate/hypnotize a GM into trading for him.....

The Knicks are nearing completion on a deal with Tyson Chandler worth $58 million over four seasons.

After their efforts to trade for Chris Paul stalled, sources say the Knicks intensified their efforts to sign Chandler.

In order to sign Chandler, the Knicks will need either amnesty or trade Chauncey Billups.

The Warriors were previously in the market for Chandler, but they are all but out of the running.

Marc Stein reports that the Mavericks are uninterested in taking back Billups in a sign-and-trade for Chandler.

Update: Multiple sources confim to Newsday's Alan Hahn that Chandler will indeed end up with the Knicks. Both Billups and Turiaf will be shed in order to create room for Chandler

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217156/Knicks_To_Sign_Tyson_Chandler#ixzz1fziUJ9Yb

they must know something we don't.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
We all are worried about Amare's knees, but if I remember correctly we can wipe his contract off the books if he gets career ending injury, so could someone please explain me what's actually the point?