Knicks will sign Tyson Chandler, use amnesty on Billups

insanity4289

Benchwarmer

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
they must know something we don't.

nothing has changed in the current CBA that says the Knicks can just "release" Turiaf and shed his cap hit. This isn't the NFL. So either they've found a moron who will take him (cuz he's not that good) or they've found a suitor for Billups and they will amnesty Turiaf (which is a waste in my opinion).

I like Chandler but I just have a feeling not having that amnesty will hurt us next season

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I think you're wrong about that, since PHX are waiving VC due to only 4 million of his current contract being guaranteed.

Exactly. Contracts are written up with language in them detailing exactly how much a player is owed if they're cut from the team, not waived, but cut. So if Turiaf doesn't get all $4M if cut then we're good. Sometimes the monetary value of cutting someone outright is greater than putting them on waivers and praying that someone picks up a portion of the salary.

It was worth it to the Suns to pay Vince $4M to walk away, instead of waiving him and hoping someone picks up a portion of $18M.

insanity4289

Benchwarmer
We all are worried about Amare's knees, but if I remember correctly we can wipe his contract off the books if he gets career ending injury, so could someone please explain me what's actually the point?

Is this a new Caveat in the CBA?

I find it hard to define what is Career ending?

I would consider Eddie Curry becoming obese a career ending injury

Blas

Benchwarmer
I think you're wrong about that, since PHX are waiving VC due to only 4 million of his current contract being guaranteed.

That is because there is an amendment to VC's contract (from old CBA). They have 72 hours after the start of free agency to waive him or they pay him the full 18 million.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
That is because there is an amendment to VC's contract (from old CBA). They have 72 hours after the start of free agency to waive him or they pay him the full 18 million.

That's right. Forgot about that amendment in there.

Red

TYPE-A
nothing has changed in the current CBA that says the Knicks can just "release" Turiaf and shed his cap hit. This isn't the NFL. So either they've found a moron who will take him (cuz he's not that good) or they've found a suitor for Billups and they will amnesty Turiaf (which is a waste in my opinion).

I like Chandler but I just have a feeling not having that amnesty will hurt us next season

Two issues...

1. Shedding Billups and Turiaf as the article says

2. Is Billups worth Chandler

Either by trade where most likely Billups and Turiaf are a package, Billups having something in the tank and expiring, Turiaf can play healthy (he's better than Jeffries)

or by amnesty releasing Billups, putting us under the cap, and a combination of either trading or agreeing to a buyout (if possible), who cares the possibility is there, but no confirmation.

Chandler is definitely worth Billups (although I hear it's $58 mil) because the specifics: Billups is a replaceable guard, was hurt, is older, and expensive while on his last year

and Chandler is a big with value.

When you try to play as we did without a big, it's a farce, we had no chance.

When you sign a big in a big market, due to demand etc... you pay.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
Exactly. Contracts are written up with language in them detailing exactly how much a player is owed if they're cut from the team, not waived, but cut. So if Turiaf doesn't get all $4M if cut then we're good. Sometimes the monetary value of cutting someone outright is greater than putting them on waivers and praying that someone picks up a portion of the salary.

It was worth it to the Suns to pay Vince $4M to walk away, instead of waiving him and hoping someone picks up a portion of $18M.

it's still on the CAP tho.....

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
I see frustration building

not really. I'm just a little suprised at how any Knick fan can come on this forum talking about "release this guy" and "just trade that guy". This isn't NbA 2k11 or Live or Madden or any of those games where u can trade garbage for stars or completely wash your hands of a salary cap hit. We owe Turiaf 4 million....unless there's some cap loophole i'm unaware of, it counts against the cap until we trade/amnesty him.....i think Chandler would get about 13 million, so we could get away with just dumping Billups....

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer

why would we cut him if not for the salary cap relief (which isn't possible)?

Red

TYPE-A
Amnesty Billups, trade/release Turiaf

I said it up there. My bad. but really this is about the report.
I'll believe it when its confirmed, too many players using us as leverage.

But their report must be based on something. Don't get it twisted, Turiaf has value as most bigs do.

oops.:smash:

Wargames

Starter
you mean sign-n-trade for him?

I hope we can the Mav's not wanting billups for the one year deal seems like sour graps. Him and Kidd would basically be able to be their PG for the whole year since Barea seems like he is planning to leave.

smokes

Huge Member
not really. I'm just a little suprised at how any Knick fan can come on this forum talking about "release this guy" and "just trade that guy". This isn't NbA 2k11 or Live or Madden or any of those games where u can trade garbage for stars or completely wash your hands of a salary cap hit. We owe Turiaf 4 million....unless there's some cap loophole i'm unaware of, it counts against the cap until we trade/amnesty him.....i think Chandler would get about 13 million, so we could get away with just dumping Billups....

Not necessarily for Turiaf, as I'm not sure how his contract works. But there is such a thing as non-guaranteed salary which is why PHX are able to cut VC and save themselves millions in cap.

I believe Turiafs contract is fully guaranteed so it is a moot point in relation to Turiaf, but your previous statement that there is no such thing as non-guaranteed contracts is false.

nuckles2k2

Superstar

All I'm saying is this:

94. Are contracts always guaranteed?

Not necessarily. There are a few specific types of contracts that must be guaranteed. All other guarantees are a matter of individual negotiation between the player and team when the contract is signed. Only a player's base salary can be guaranteed -- not bonuses or incentives. The percentage of base salary that is guaranteed cannot increase from one year to the next (e.g., if 50% of a player's salary is guaranteed one season, then no more than 50% of his salary can be guaranteed in any subsequent season of the contract).

There are actually several types of guarantees: lack of skill, death (insured or non-insured), injury/illness (insured or non-insured), mental disability (insured or non-insured), and non-insured basketball-related injury. So, for example, a contract might be fully guaranteed for any injury or illness, but not for lack of skill. Some guarantees are for a partial amount of the player's salary, and the amount can change on specified dates. For example, $2 million of Vlade Divac's $5.94 million 2005-06 salary with the Lakers was guaranteed through September 30, 2005. Had he remained on the Lakers' roster after that date, his entire salary would have become guaranteed. Since he was waived prior to that date, he was only owed $2 million.

All I'm saying is, we don't know how Turiaf's contract is drawn up. Simple as that, yes there's a cap hit...but is it the entire $4M, or can he be cut for a portion of that? Those details usually aren't readily made available to the public.

But you said that contracts were made fully guaranteed before the old CBA expired, so I guess this is all for not.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
You sir are delusional

One that can't bang with the likes of Miami and Boston????

I would take this squad over MIA anyday. Please tell me who on MIA is going to get rebounds over Melo Amare and Chandler? Please tell me.

**** the whole idea of a big three, it leaves no flexibility.

Did we overpay for Chandler, YES! But how many players are in the league right now that can provide the defense and rebounding that he does? He is the perfect fit for Amare and this team. He is a player that doesn't need the ball to help this team.

I'm delusional??? Dwight Howard listed 3 teams he would play for; L.A., N.Y. and Chicago with LA being his preference. During an interview when asked about NY he said it was too cold and then laughed.... You guys are running with that little exchange, I'm going by multiple article that I read. He stated that he wants to play in a major market and the 3 top markets are NY, LA and Chicago; NY is the #1 Market and LA is #2. Andrew Bynum doesn't land Howard; Gasol and Bynum might have got him, but Gasol is gone. Melo or STAT would have been a HUGE chip for landing him. SI.com already ran articles that Howard would play in NY if LA fell threw so you guys need to check yourselves!

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
I just kno that there's no contract this Knick organization signed in recent memory where they could get over and get out of the cap hit.....