Knicks Pre-season

tiger0330

Legend
I said with all these guys that preceded him that said they wanted to change the culture, Fiz seems to actually be doing it. He's different, a lot of coaches are called player's coaches but he really is, hardly ever see a head coach come on to the floor and help an injured player off the court like he did helping MRob off after he sprained his ankle.

Now if he can only inspire one of those guys that were supposed to challenge for that starting PG position, they mentioned possibly cutting Mudiay to make room for Trier, if he plays like he has in the last 3 games, he'll be playing in China next year.

There should not be any disappointment .. when our Training-Camp open having only one legit NBA starter (Kanter) on a roster full of young core players, plus two many 2nd chance tier-3 raw players like Timmy Mudiay Vonleh Mario and Lance Thomas.
Our training-camp did not have competitor competition players to improve or enlighten any of our many young-core players on the roster for a grimy 82 game season. The reason i felt the need for Joakim Noah's veteran experience in training-camp and in our locker-room throughout this season.
I'm glad we do have a great defensive guard in Frank Nitty to defend and improve our offensive guards creative performance in scoring during training camp. I was hoping veteran Courtney Lee defensive skills wouldve been healthy throughout training camp and preseason to tandem with Frank Nitty in the backcourt to help coach Fizdale select the best meshing backcourt pair out of players Mudiay/Burke/Timmy/Dotson/Trier in training-camp practice and the preseason games.

Last night coach Fizdale put Mudiay and Timmy as our backcourt starters vs NO Pelicans, maybe because both guards were in a slump in the 2 previous preseason games. Well the two guards Mudiay & Timmy played well together as a tandem throughout last night game combining for 11 dimes in 24 minute. Maybe Fizdale need to keep playing the pair together, by bringing the two off the bench to back-up our open season starters Frank and Burke.

When the season start center Kanter will need much more help in the paint then what Lance Thomas or Vonleh bring to the table !!!
Don't know what you see in Mudiay but here's an assessment of him and it isn't pretty. Last words on him in the article.

If he can’t turn things around this season, he may well have used up all the good will top-10 pick status buys you, with Europe or China looming on the horizon.

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2018/10/7/17940968/knicks-2018-19-preview-emmanuel-mudiay

I'll mention Nitilikina as well after watching Sexton and Gilgeous-Alexander in the pre-season. Those 2 know how to play, have a great feel for the game, instincts of PG's and athletic ability, what you would expect from high lottery picks. Nitilikina should have the natural ability those 2 show, sadly he looks more like a Mudiay bust to me than the star many think he's going to be.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
[/B]

Don't know what you see in Mudiay but here's an assessment of him and it isn't pretty. Last words on him in the article.

If he can’t turn things around this season, he may well have used up all the good will top-10 pick status buys you, with Europe or China looming on the horizon.

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2018/10/7/17940968/knicks-2018-19-preview-emmanuel-mudiay

I'll mention Nitilikina as well after watching Sexton and Gilgeous-Alexander in the pre-season. Those 2 know how to play, have a great feel for the game, instincts of PG's and athletic ability, what you would expect from high lottery picks. Nitilikina should have the natural ability those 2 show, sadly he looks more like a Mudiay bust to me than the star many think he's going to be.

Last year i thought the Mills/Perry decision to trade for Mudiay was idiotic and a STUPID move! Why?
Jarret Jack performance at a certain point last season earned him another season as a Knick for the benefit of Frank & Burke to learn from his talent of "what to do" and "what not to do".
Recall .. last season Jack was recovering from a injury and still played well to give us 6 dimes in 24 minute night.
If Mills/Perry had no plans on signing a FA PG to mentor the large group of young-core players on the 2018-19 roster, then another season of Jack 6 dimes and 2 turn-over were a need for the 2018-19 Knicks to boost up Frank & Burke level of performance.
Do u think Jack and Lee performance in the backcourt would have improve to a 41 win season this year? I do!
Do u think the backcourt tandem of Burke & Frank would have improve to out play Jack & Lee? I do?

The Knicks started the 2018-19 season without a veteran PG in their training-camp, may be that could be one of the reasons many sports analyst predict the Knicks having a 25 win season.
The Knicks training-camp roster are 85% full of young-core raw players that need experience from veteran teammates to improve their skills and creativeness to win NBA games, instead of tanking NBA games.
What are the Knicks training camp teaching? win? or tank?

When it comes to Frank Ntilikina and Trey Burke the Knicks (Mills/Perry) did nothing over the offseason to get the two young raw PG an experience veteran PG to lead and mentor them throughout the 2018-19 season. So expect the unexpected this season SMH
In the offseason Charlotte Hornets signed a 36 yr old Tony Parker to a 2 yr contract for $10M .. do u think signing a 17 yr experience PG Parker has anything to do with the Hornets needing an experience player/coach mentor for their 2nd season PG Malik Monk? plus to let the organization know before the February dead line if Kemba Walker is a keeper ???

Rookie Sexton showed elite skills in the SL games, plus Sexton has a experience 10 yr veteran mentor in the Cavs training-camp name George Hill, plus the majority of the Cavs roster in training-camp are experience veteran teammates. Yes! Sexton has a very good chance of winning the ROY.

Rookie Gilgeous-Alexander showed great potential in the SL games, plus Gilgeous-Alexander has two experience veteran PG to mentor him in the Clippers training camp in Lou Williams and Patrick Beverley who combine has 19 yrs experience in the NBA. Plus the Clippers has a veteran roster, and a championship head coach in Doc in their training-camp.

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks vs Wizards

Knicks starters .... Frank Timmy Knox Lance Vonleh

Wizards starters .... Wall Beal Green Porter Mahinmi

The game started with Wall hitting a 3 ball shot .. And Timmy hitting a 3 ball shot tied a 3

tiger0330

Legend
[/B]

Just tuning in catching Nits saying Fiz wants him to play by feel and instinct and not overthink the game. Mentioned that about 2 rookie PGs above, better feel for the game than Nits, maybe he gets it this year. He's leading in scoring this game and could still win that starting PG spot.

tiger0330

Legend
Put Mudiay on the shelf, not much time left to game day. Let's try Nits for the next 6 quarters of the pre-season and maybe we can go with a starting lineup of Nits, THJ, KK, LT and Kanter in opening day.

tiger0330

Legend
Put Mudiay on the shelf, not much time left to game day. Let's try Nits for the next 6 quarters of the pre-season and maybe we can go with a starting lineup of Nits, THJ, KK, LT and Kanter in opening day.
Well giving Nits all the minutes at PG went out the window with 2 quick fouls to give him 5 and sends him to the bench. Speaking of fouls, surprised Breen and Clyde are not talking about the emphasis on freedom of movement rule that all the rest of the NBA announcers are discussing. Hard enough to defend without hand checking but with this the league should set a scoring record this season.

Tough to draw many conclusions from the 2nd half since Fizdale is playing mainly bench players against the Wizards starters. Like what I see from Hezonja, but he still seems raw. Mudiay getting some 4th quarter minutes. Running out of chances it seems.

Mudiay making some nice passes. Unfortunately, it?s hard to take away much when we?re talking about 4th quarter garbage time in a preseason game.

tiger0330

Legend
Tough to draw many conclusions from the 2nd half since Fizdale is playing mainly bench players against the Wizards starters. Like what I see from Hezonja, but he still seems raw. Mudiay getting some 4th quarter minutes. Running out of chances it seems.
One conclusion I'll draw is they need Kanter to anchor that front court, that small ball lineup with 3 guards Mario and Knox is not going to win you many games.

tiger0330

Legend
attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 15

tiger0330

Legend
Trier leading scorer again with 18 and tied with the most assists in 28 mins. Mudiay had 4 in 10 mins but they were in garbage time and pretty simple look ahead dimes. Fiz fighting the option of putting Trier at PG preferring to use his scoring ability off the ball, have to agree that's a better role for him instead of creating for others. Fiz never put Nits back in after he picked up his 2 quick fouls in the 3rd, disappointed he didn't play as many minutes as Knox and Trier.

mafra

Legend
The kid still has never scored 20 points in a game Stop babying him, maybe he breaks through offensively if he has a breakout 20ppg.

I was being sarcastic... Not sure how that came across as babying him?

Frank just turned 20... PGs struggle their rookie season... its a tough league. He may not be an offensive presence for another 2-3 years, if ever.

Let just hope he is an elite defender who can hit wide open shots and make some passes to get others easy looks.

Frank isn?t gonna be a 20 ppg type. At least not at 20. At this point, we should only hope to get a Bruce Bowen type who is slightly better scoring off the dribble.

Frank just turned 20... PGs struggle their rookie season... its a tough league. He may not be an offensive presence for another 2-3 years, if ever.

Let just hope he is an elite defender who can hit wide open shots and make some passes to get others easy looks.

Frank isn?t gonna be a 20 ppg type. At least not at 20. At this point, we should only hope to get a Bruce Bowen type who is slightly better scoring off the dribble.

I think Tig was saying that the Knicks should stop babying him. I don?t think he was saying that you were babying him.

tiger0330

Legend

Frank isn’t gonna be a 20 ppg type. At least not at 20. At this point, we should only hope to get a Bruce Bowen type who is slightly better scoring off the dribble.

You're right Mafra. Just seeing Sexton, G-A and the Hawks are probably going to start Trey makes me envious we could have drafted someone else at 8. DSJ has had some moments this off-season as well. Tired of hearing, you have to have patience with the kid.

tiger0330

Legend
I think Tig was saying that the Knicks should stop babying him. I don’t think he was saying that you were babying him.

Thx htr10, that is what I meant, Fiz should give him more minutes, give him Mudiay's minutes, he's a bust. Let's see if the kid can swim esp at PG.

mafra

Legend
You're right Mafra. Just seeing Sexton, G-A and the Hawks are probably going to start Trey makes me envious we could have drafted someone else at 8. DSJ has had some moments this off-season as well. Tired of hearing, you have to have patience with the kid.

I think it?s clear we all wanted DSJ or Mitchell instead. I mean, to be burned drafting another Frenchie.... tough to swallow.

It?s also tough bc it?s a PG league and so many young kids have come out and are looking good... but what can we do about it now?

I get that you and others are tired of hearing we need patience... but it?s true. Kid was 19 last year. He?s not a once in a generation phenom... he?s not even that talented of a scorer... BUt... At least he looks like a rotation player. He?s definitely not going to be a bust. We hope he?s more than I-Shump.

And, there?s still hope that in 3 years... when he is 23... he just goes bonkers. Why not?

Now, I do agree that Knicks need to stop babying him. Just tell him to shoot 20 times and see if you build confidence that way.

Sounds like Fiz doesn?t envision him as a PG anyway. I think they hope he becomes a combo guy... something more than a 3-&-D type but definitely not the floor general.

But, ask yourself this: could you see Frank being 1 of 4 guards on a competitive, title contending roster? I think he has that potential.

Anyway, I do agree Knicks are careful with him... but... how many players took NBA by storm at 20?

mafra

Legend
If only we drafted Donovan Mitchell!!!

At least we aren?t Philly, who passed on KP and Mitchell for Okafor and Fultz!!!

I just hope Fiz gives minutes to those most deserving... With Trier... well, Knits might not be too deserving to play much this season. He better be a lock down defender, or else he?ll play about 8 mpg.

tiger0330

Legend
Trey hasn't proved a thing and despite his limited physical stature I would be surprised if the Hawks don't start him despite having a vet like Lin. The reason, the Hawks see his raw talent and are going to fast track him and let him learn in the school of hard knocks. I wonder what Fiz and the brass really think of Nits in not giving him more minutes on a young rebuilding team going nowhere.