2021 Knicks Summer League

mafra

Legend
I think, as evident with their 2-2 record, if IQ/Obi ain?t ready to dominate SL? They still have work to do before they become dependable rotation fixtures?.

But, NyK didn?t put all their eggs in 1 basket.

Starters revolve around Kemba, Evan, RJ, Randle and MItch.

Bench begins with the vets: Rose, AB, Noel and Gibson

It?s almost as of the youth, IQ,McBride, Grimes, Obi, Sims and the 2 Euros are luxury items. We can sprinkle a couple in here and there, slowly expand roles, we have depth in case of injury, and sometimes we can run the entire youth gang out there together.

So, they can development at their own pace.

Kiyaman

Legend
Nice game by Obi, his game will be more consistent than Quicks because he?s more of a a dunker rim runner than Quick is. Quick like a lot of shooters lives and dies by the 3 pt shot. Not impressed with Quicks PG playmaking skills in SL, still needs a lot of work in that area meaning DRose and Kemba need to stay healthy this season.

Quickley's best talents/skills are at the SG position, he was one of the top-10 catch n shoot perimeter players in college. Yes, Quickley does have a high b.ball IQ to perform at the PG position, but in the NBA Quickley's best talent has shown to be a dynamic combo-guard, like the Celtics Marcus Smart.
Quickley's not a playmaker, although he have a great handle and quick passing-skills to average 3 to 6 dimes per game. Depending on the BIG-Men in his lineup.
Quickley showed in one season, he's a better winning SG than RJ Barrett.

The Knicks are still being CHEAP at getting a PG leadership player .. hoping Kemba, Rose, Quickley, McBride, and Randle could hold down the PG position next season for 82 games.
Which leaves the SG & SF position weak on offense/defense from inconsistent players RJ Barrett, Evans, Burks, and Knox.
Randle playing the PG position on offense in the playoffs became a 1-4 disaster for the Knicks.
Starters revolve around Kemba, Evan, RJ, Randle and MItch.
Bench begins with the vets: Rose, AB, Noel and Gibson

The 9 players mention above by Mafra, i see individually struggling hard to be the Hero-Player of so many losing games next season.

Today, watching the Hawks 94 vs Heats 90 game ....
Hawks coach Nate were smiling at his all-around Star players performance ..
Jalen Johnson scored 25 pts on 9-15 FG shooting, 7 rbs, 3 ast, 2 steals, and 1 block

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks vs Cavs .. No Quickley tonite !!!

Tonight, it's on McBride, Grimes, Obi, and Sims to pull-out a Knicks win over the Cavs.
Knicks 103 - Cavs 94
Knicks shot 50% FG .. Cavs shot 42% FG

Obi 21 pts
McBride 23 pts
Grimes 28 pts
Sims 8 pts 9 rbs, and 1 Block

mafra

Legend
Pretty impressive all around performances from Grimes and McBride. OBI scoring on all 3 levels. 3-2 SL so far

Got a question? I must admit to not watching but one of the Knicks Summer league games. That was McBride game and was impress by what I saw in him. Next game he came back to earth. Which is what I thought would happen and not putting much into Summer league.

The question this and again I didn't watch but one game. In the box scores there was a lot of DNP, Why?? The rotation look to be a tight one with very little vision as to 'Let's try this combination' or 'Let's try this player at this position'? Again Why?? It looked like more emphasis was being placed on winning than letting everybody play. Now not sure of what planet most of you are from but seeing all of the players should have been the #1 objective. If I'm wrong then please enlighten me.

mafra

Legend
According to a NBA source, Knicks officials are delighted their draft picks look significantly more polished than during the draft combine in late June.

Grimes, the Houston product, has scored 53 points in the past two games after a slow start to summer league.

Meanwhile, Obi Toppin, the summer league?s fifth-leading scorer and 2020 lottery pick, bulled and skied his way to 21 points (8-of-20 from the field).

https://nypost.com/2021/08/15/miles-mcbride-quentin-grimes-dominate-in-summer-league/amp/

Kiyaman

Legend
I knew it! I knew it! The Hawks was not gonna let Jalen Johnson embarrassed the Knicks tonite, so they DNP Jalen Johnson for this game.
The Knicks SL roster are missing a decent SF!
And the Knicks 2021-22 roster are still missing a decent SF!

I?ve gone from wondering if Grimes and McBride could play well enough to contribute in the regular season to wondering how Thibs is going to get either of these guys rotation minutes.

mafra

Legend
Jalen chickened out. Dude quite on his HS and his college team. He has much to prove. Talent is legit, but don?t tell me he had a better SL than Grimes

Kiyaman

Legend
If Grimes & McBride come into Preseason camp with the same consistent dynamics on offense/defense they had in the past three SL games, the two rookies are gonna come off the bench in the regular season games to save (B....) coach Thibs season the same way D.Rose & Quickley did last season.
I have to admit, the guard tandem of Grimes & McBride are very Raw, but the more playing-time they receive during the regular-season will improve their dynamic defense, and eventually make them a creative weapon on offense.
Jericho Sims is an athletic keeper in need of rookie playing-time to get on par with other NBA front-court big-men.
The Knicks had FOUR picks in the 2021 draft .. The 2021 Draft class were strong at the Small-Forward position and Point-Forward position .. A position the Knicks has been very weak at after trading Marcus Morris, and not resigning Bullock, leaving us with Knox, and 3 SG (Evans, Burks, Barrett) to forfill the SF position next season. When we could have used the 19th pick to get a SF.
One of these rookie Forwards below will win the 2021-22 ROY ....
Cade Cunningham, Scottie Barnes, Jonathan Kuminga, Jalen Johnson, Chris Duarte, Josh Giddey, Franz Wagner, and Corey Kispert.

Kiyaman

Legend
Jalen chickened out. Dude quite on his HS and his college team. He has much to prove. Talent is legit, but don’t tell me he had a better SL than Grimes

He did .. his all-around consistency in each SL game prove he's a rotation player !!!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Kemba Walker KNEES !!!

Yeah exactly

Kemba Walker knees, D-Rose knees...right now we're worried about getting minutes for Grimes and McBride, watch by February they'll be playing 30 mins/game cause nobody's healthy

Are either of them going to start in the G-League or are they going to come straight to the NBA? I'm worried that if they sit on the bench for too long they won't develop

tiger0330

Legend
Yeah exactly

Kemba Walker knees, D-Rose knees...right now we're worried about getting minutes for Grimes and McBride, watch by February they'll be playing 30 mins/game cause nobody's healthy

Are either of them going to start in the G-League or are they going to come straight to the NBA? I'm worried that if they sit on the bench for too long they won't develop

As much of a taskmaster that Thibs is he better load manage Kemba and DRose. Both guys should not play more than 25-28 mins a night with no back to backs. Looks like that Euro Vildoza has fallen out of favor, he had a poor Olympics and didn't do much in Summer League so IQ is going to be key this season.

Kiyaman

Legend
Yeah exactly

McBride & Grimes dynamic young defensive skills will get a fair share of playing-time in their rookie season for many reasons .. Walker, Evans, and Barrett's defensive chemistry has always been question by their team & their coaches. Plus Walker & Rose Knees are gonna need lots of rest the first half of the season to be healthy for the grit & grind in the midseason games.

The Memphis Grizzlies Super-Star Ja Morant made the best offseason trade move in the NBA when the Grizz Traded G Eric Bledsoe to Los Angeles Clippers in exchange for C Daniel Oturu, and two dynamic veteran defensive guards in Patrick Beverley and Rajon Rondo .... It's a shame, Leon Rose & Perry don't think that far !!!