Melo to NYC Closer than you think!

Paul1355

All Star
i don't know what melo is going to cost but i don't think its as much as talked about on here. i don't see us losing gallo randolph and chandler and if it does walsh will wait. thats just too much to give up when you know you have a shot in the off season at getting melo. but even if we only keep chandler... that would give us melo stat moz felton and i say fields as starters and douglas chandler turiaf off the bench.. thats a playoff team.

Has Gallo and Randolph impressed you enough to keep them instead of having melo? Have they impressed you so much to refuse Melo??? Be honest.

Only Chandler has stepped up his game to be more consistent on offense and driving to the basket more, playing HIS game for once. But Chandler would be out of position if Melo came here since Melo would be the starting SF over Chandler.

After seeing the Knicks give up a million rebounds and rely on Amare to score 40 points a night, which won't always happen, and after seeing Randolph fail more than impressed and Gallo continue to throw up bricks and airballs..... I am convinced we need Melo.

mafra

Legend
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/10/20/melo-report/index.html?rss=true

Aldridge: Melo to Knicks report has 'no legs'

By David Aldridge, TNT analyst
Posted Oct 20 2010 5:39PM - Updated Oct 20 2010 7:38PM
A league source with knowledge of the New York Knicks' thinking said on Wednesday that there were "no legs" to an ESPN.com report that the Knicks have made "significant" progress on a trade that would bring Carmelo Anthony to New York from the Denver Nuggets.
ESPN.com reported Tuesday night that the Knicks had softened their stance on including either forward Danilo Gallinari or forward Anthony Randolph in proposed deals for Anthony. Although the Nuggets supposedly didn't want either player, the Knicks, according to the report, were hoping to spin either Randolph or Gallinari into an asset from another team that the Nuggets would want, and then package that asset with a draft pick, the expiring contract of center Eddy Curry and other assets for Anthony.
But the league source said there were "no legs to that" on the Knicks' end.
Other league sources that have been involved in trade discussions with the Nuggets about Anthony in recent weeks maintained that the New Jersey Nets are still in direct talks with Denver about Anthony, though a proposed four-way trade that would have brought Anthony to the Nets last month involving New Jersey, Denver, Utah and Charlotte fell through.
One source said that though that deal died, the Nets have "never been out of the mix" in discussions about Anthony, and that Denver was still trying to figure out a way to get either forward Andrei Kirienko from Utah, Charlotte's Gerald Wallace or the 76ers' Andre Iguodala in a package for Anthony. Kirilenko was part of the original four-team deal, and would have gone to Denver.
The source indicated that the talks between the teams have become less public in the last couple of weeks to allow new Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri time to get his team's front office in order after the team did not renew the contracts of former GM Mark Warkentein and assistant GM Rex Chapman in August, and to take pressure off of the Nets players, like rookie forward Derrick Favors and point guard Devin Harris, who had been mentioned in potential deals.
Another source that has been involved in the trade talks said Wednesday that he still believes the Nets will ultimately wind up with Anthony, who has privately asked to be traded while publicly remaining non-commital about his future. Anthony has refused to sign the three-year, $65 million extension off that the Nuggets have had on the table for months.
The Nuggets hired Pete D'Alessandro, the former assistant GM with the Warriors, as an advisor last week. D'Alessandro, an expert on the salary cap, is expected to help Denver figure out the most cap-friendly way to move Anthony. D'Alessandro was fired by the Warriors in 2008, as part of an internal struggle in Golden State.
<!-- nbaWideArticle --><!-- START 'inlineAds : default' FILE: /.element/ssi/story/1.0/news/.branding/default/inlineAds.html -->

p0nder

Starter
Sooooo much speculation. My guess is that they will try to hold onto melo until the trade deadline and see what they can get for him, from teams like the knicks who will be looking for extra help getting into the playoffs.

mafra

Legend
Sooooo much speculation. My guess is that they will try to hold onto melo until the trade deadline and see what they can get for him, from teams like the knicks who will be looking for extra help getting into the playoffs.

Hard to tell really... It would make more sense to trade Melo now. For 2 reasons:

1- Why deal with all the distractions, and specualtion, all season. Can only hurt the team, right?

2- Sure, some team might get desperate come Feb. Maybe even willing to rent Melo for a few months.... HOWEVER, DEN will get the most in return for Carmelo right now.

Let's be honest here, any team willing to rent Melo for a few months wont really be willing to strip apart their team to make their playoff run, b/c that sort of defeat the point. They are trying to improve their club at that point.

A team that is making a trade for the future, wont really be desperate enough to sell the farm for a player who is a few montsh away from free agency.

So DENVER is really in a tough spot here. Sure, they could play the season and make one final run at things this year. At least another playoff appearance appeases the fans and makes the owner some money. They could play chicken and see if an injury arises, or if some team caves in and sells the farm. But this is a risky bet, and the fear of not havign a seat when the music stops would set this feanchise back.

Denver is also operating under new management. They are not invested in this team as currently constructed. To them, it's probably to sell Melo on 80 cents on the dollar, then hold out for 120 cents on the dollar and risk going bankrupt.

They could start rebuilding by dealing Melo. get soem young players in now. THEN, deal the other parts (Billups, Smith, Harrington) for some more pieces. This way they enter 2011 armed with a bunch of young players and draft picks.

The alternative is getting stuck in neutral and left without a partner come Feb.

FINALLY, we also hear rumors of the owner seeking CAP RELIEF. If saving money is a primary motivation, you know the Knicks will be more than happy to help.

AGAIN. Who knows. Most likely they risk it. Go into the season and wait until mid December. I doubt they wait until Feb. They see if anyone calls their bluff, see what the landscape looks like, feel settled with their new regie running the front office, understand best available offer, and then pull the trigger on something a week or so before Xmas. That would be my guess.

Would it shock me if nothing happens? Not at all.

Would it shokc me if Melo is dealt this weekend? Nope.

If he's traded to the Nets come Feb? Not really.

Anything goes.

BUT, let's look at it from NY's perspective. Perhaps D-Walsh probably knows what he needs to do. Maybe he's exhausting all avenues, trying to get Melo at the cheapest price possibly. Maybe he wants Melo so much, that he'll wait until final moments and then pull the trigger and pay max price to get Melo here.

Maybe he's calling DEN's bluff. They told him what they want. He's holding out hope they lower their demands, but ultimately will grant their wishes 48 hours before season begins? We'll find out soon enough.

iSaYughh

Starter
This is a bluffing game right now, so there will be lots of up n downs in the perceived likelihood of a deal going down. It WILL go down, though; it already IS, I'd argue.

Melo is a big fish and at the very least DEN management will play their cards hard and for a while, to save face yes, but really to try to give Donnie a chance to make a mistake (ie give up too much).

The fluctuating x-factor is the "unknown" of Melo signing extensions for really any team other than us. The mitigating factor is that this is a tough, grueling sport, and Melo is risking a max contract evaporating over the course of a full season, or even a few months (injury? Some random shit happening to the NBA? Knicks getting a diff player that precludes him?).

At the end of the day I expect a logical compromise between all parties given all circumstances:

DEN deals him to us, and gets like 65cents to the dollar. Gallo + 2011 first (Chandler trade) + Curry + 2014 first.

They will then trade Chauncy for a 2011 or 2012 1st plus a decent young asset, along w Harrington and maybe Biedrins at trade deadline.

This talk of them not wanting Gallo is nonsense. They don't want him only in the bubble of their bluff, acting like they have the best hand and will be contenders.

Conservely, Melo gets his dream, and we do too.

Felton-Douglas
Walker-Azzy-Mason
Melo-Fields
STAT-AR
Moz-Turiaf

We will still be in a solid cap situation, too, and can procure a SG or C in rich upcoming FA class.

Limbo can be as long as 15 minutes. This deal is going to be a stressful one, but in the end it will be worth it.

I'm pretty sure the reason why Gallo and <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:City w:st=
<ST1:pChandler</ST1:p</st1:City> sat out last game had everything to do with trade talks and not injuries. Like I?ve been saying all summer long?don?t be surprise when the deal goes down before the season starts.

D?Antonio almost looked like he wanted to cry when he was asked if his team was distracted by trade talks. You can tell it was hurting him to say ?well, these guys are professionals; they know this is part of the business?. Judging from the way he responded (and the fake injuries)?I have a very good feeling we will be getting rid of Gallo?this week.

mafra

Legend
Deal will either go down this weekend, or will have to wait until sometime before XMAS.

DEN probably wants us to trade for a specific player. They would want that X player, plus Gallo or Randolph, Curry, and a 1st rounder.

In order to get that X player, Knicks would have to trade the other prospect DEN doesn't want (Gallo or Randolph), and to procur a first rounder I imagine that means surrendering Chandler.

I think Walsh is willing to part with Gallo and Randolph, but might be a little hesitant trading all 3 prospects.

OR, perhaps this 3rd team is trying to extract more to give up player X.

Or, perhaps Walsh wants to expand deal a tad, so if he gives up Gallo, Randolph, Chandler he gets Melo with another player (like Rudy Fernandez).

I think both DEN-NY want to make something happen, but both also feel comfortable waiting things out.

I think if deal isn;t done by Sunday night... Then don't expect anything to happen until after December 15th.

Toons

is the Bo$$
After thinking about it....gut this team
get melo NOW

melo, mare, mozgov frontcourt

douglas, azubuike back court

if cp3 wont resign with the hornets, could we force a cp3 for felton & scrubs trade? was their talk at melo's wedding reception real?

cp3
buike
melo
mare
gov

Paul1355

All Star
After thinking about it....gut this team
get melo NOW

melo, mare, mozgov frontcourt

douglas, azubuike back court

if cp3 wont resign with the hornets, could we force a cp3 for felton & scrubs trade? was their talk at melo's wedding reception real?

cp3
buike
melo
mare
gov
bro we should really only make Amare, Felton, Mozgov, Douglas and Fields un tradeable becausr these guys have some IQ where Gallo, Chandler, Randolph have amazing talent but no brains.

If CP3 and Derron Williams see melo and amare in NY, they will def be the big third

LJ4ptplay

Starter
If we trade for Melo now, forming a big 3 in NY with either CP3 or Deron becomes impossible. There will not be enough cap space. Trading is the only option and we will not have any assets to offer.

If everybody keeps saying Denver must trade Melo or else they lose him for nothing, then you have to apply that to the Hornets as well. Next summer they will be in the same predicament as Denver is now. The Hornets will not allow CP3 to walk away for nothing in free agency. If we can't expect Melo to wait 1 freaking year on a very talented Denver team, how can we expect CP3 to wait 2 years on a really bad Hornets team? He will be traded.

And if we trade Chandler + Randolph + Gallo + all of our picks for Melo, we will have nothing to offer the Hornets.

I keep saying this but everybody wants to ignore it. Sorry, but it's the truth. I was saying at the beginning of this mess that it would cost us a lot to get Melo, regardless of Melo's power. Everyone said we could just trade Curry + Chandler and that would be enough because Denver will be desperate. I was right then and I'm right now.

Impatient fans and impatient Melo will keep us as perennial early playoff exits. I hope Melo and Lala will be happy in NY. Because Melo and all Knick fans can forget about winning a championsip.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
If we trade for Melo now, forming a big 3 in NY with either CP3 or Deron becomes impossible. There will not be enough cap space. Trading is the only option and we will not have any assets to offer.

If everybody keeps saying Denver must trade Melo or else they lose him for nothing, then you have to apply that to the Hornets as well. Next summer they will be in the same predicament as Denver is now. The Hornets will not allow CP3 to walk away for nothing in free agency. If we can't expect Melo to wait 1 freaking year on a very talented Denver team, how can we expect CP3 to wait 2 years on a really bad Hornets team? He will be traded.

And if we trade Chandler + Randolph + Gallo + all of our picks for Melo, we will have nothing to offer the Hornets.

I keep saying this but everybody wants to ignore it. Sorry, but it's the truth. I was saying at the beginning of this mess that it would cost us a lot to get Melo, regardless of Melo's power. Everyone said we could just trade Curry + Chandler and that would be enough because Denver will be desperate. I was right then and I'm right now.

Impatient fans and impatient Melo will keep us as perennial early playoff exits. I hope Melo and Lala will be happy in NY. Because Melo and all Knick fans can forget about winning a championsip.

CP3 may be elite but Felton is good enough that we should not be worrying about CP3 in 1-2 years and certainly not factor that into our plans on getting Melo. Melo and Amare is a dynamic 1-2 punch and makes us contenders.

mafra

Legend
CP3 may be elite but Felton is good enough that we should not be worrying about CP3 in 1-2 years and certainly not factor that into our plans on getting Melo. Melo and Amare is a dynamic 1-2 punch and makes us contenders.

Amen! Especially given this latest revelation about reducing players' payroll by 33 percent. This edict from Stern, and the NBA, means the likelihood of no basketball in 2011 VERY HIGH.

So, get Melo NOW. Have him and Amar'e on our roster. In 2 years, players will come off the books opening up enough cap space to make a run at Deron or Paul in 2012.

Why wait? Go another 2 years without the playoffs?

nyk_nyk

All Star

True. CP3 is the best PG in the league, but we don't really NEED the best PG to have success if we already have Amare and Melo. Honestly, all we need is a very good one.

Just to be clear, this does not mean that I don't want CP3. I'm just pointing out that we could go a level down and still be in great shape.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
In 2 years, players will come off the books opening up enough cap space to make a run at Deron or Paul in 2012.

What did I just say? We won't have enough cap space. And their teams won't let them walk for nothing, much like Denver is doing now.

They will be traded. And we won't have any assets to trade.

Sheesh. Why do I bother?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
And I'm not saying we won't be a good team if we trade for Melo. We will be a very good team. Probably 4th seed. I just don't think we have enough to beat the Heat and Lakers and win a championship.

If Melo showed a little paitence and we signed him next year, then we could be real contenders next year instead of perennial early playoff exits. Oh well.

nyk_nyk

All Star
And I'm not saying we won't be a good team if we trade for Melo. We will be a very good team. Probably 4th seed. I just don't think we have enough to beat the Heat and Lakers and win a championship.

If Melo showed a little paitence and we signed him next year, then we could be real contenders next year instead of perennial early playoff exits. Oh well.

How do you know Melo isn't showing patience? Nothing has happened yet and there are no reports that he's forcing their hand. He doesn't want to sign the extension so its DEN that's going forward with trying to deal him (as they should).

In just about all your posts you put so much blame on Melo as if he's controlling this whole situation. All he did was refuse to sign the extension, which he has the right to do.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
How do you know Melo isn't showing patience? Nothing has happened yet and there are no reports that he's forcing their hand. He doesn't want to sign the extension so its DEN that's going forward with trying to deal him (as they should).

In just about all your posts you put so much blame on Melo as if he's controlling this whole situation. All he did was refuse to sign the extension, which he has the right to do.

Oh please. Don't be so naive. This is all Melo. Just because he can't say it to the media doesn't mean he's not. He's using back-channels. It is obvious he's telling Denver to trade him. Denver would not be seeking to trade him now if this weren't true.

On media day, when asked "does this mean you don't want to be traded?", he simply answered with a smirk. Every single person knows this is being instigated by Melo.

You have to live in the now because the future is always uncertain. With that said, I'm not worried about it at all. We will cross that bridge when we get there. As of right now?the team is in desperate need of an upgrade. Mello and Stat is a good starting point in building a championship team. The only ones I would consider keeping are TD, Wilson, Moz, Fields, Felton, and maybe Walker. Everyone else on this current roster is expendable role players and can easily be replaced. Opportunities like this are rare and a good organization will pounce on it. They know it?s all about winning a championship, and for that to happen you need the right pieces. As far as I?m concern?the days of developing players in NY are over. This is ShowTime city and the Knicks need to start acting like it. Only great players should play on this team with this kind of media coverage. Why continue to advertise weak talent? Wanting scrubs to develop over getting available pros is a sign of having a loser?s mentality. You?ll never get what you want out of life by being too conservative and turning down the obvious opportunities. These 2 pros together will have the rest of the roster feeding of their energy and spectacular play. This is the smart way to go and that?s why the deal is being pursued. I?m amazed at those claiming to know the game and the biz speak other wise. Probably the very reason why they will never be a GM, an Owner, or successful in life?This is really not that hard to figure out. Blowing this deal and settling with what we currently have is nothing short of gambling, I was always under the impression the Knicks were building a competitor. Hurry up and sign Mello so we can start the jelling process.