Melo to NYC Closer than you think!

Oldtimer

Rotation player
The Future

As is the usual case, I am in agreement with LJ4ptplay. The acquisition of Melo with the loss of Gallo, Randolph, and Chandler -- with one of them going for a first round pick -- will make us a better team at least in the short run. But we will be cap-stressed going forward, have no assets for other trades, and bored for several years on draft day. We will have no room for further growth. We will also be expecting a lot from Mozgov, Felton, Douglas. Azibuike, Walker and Fields or whomever may be left after an acquisition of Melo. We will not beat the Lakers, the Heat, or the Celtics, who have perhaps two years of prime time play left. Oklahoma City, Chicago, Milwaukee, Portland and even the Wizards appear to have interesting futures. Even with Melo, I would put us behind not only the Lakers, the Heat and the Celtics, but also Oklahoma City, Chicago, and Portland.

Given the apparent state of CBA negotiations, it is certainly likely that future player contracts will be reduced, making it to Melo's great advantage to sign his extension now. This is not the NHL. I do not expect imposed discounts on current contracts. I do not think Melo intends to forego a contract under the current CBA.

The Knicks, for PR purposes, cannot let the Nets get Melo. Unfortunately I expect we will have to gut the team to get Melo. I expect that to be the route taken.

I am disappointed in Gallo's performance and concerned that he is not going to get much better than he was last year. Randolph does not appear to profit much from his other-worldly athleticism. But I have not given up on them and I would like to grow the "team" over time rather than have merely a contending team with two real stars and not much else. Besides, I wonder how well Amar'e and Melo can share the ball.

Because I do not think Melo will wait for free agency, part of me wants Chicago to step up and get Melo so that we can eliminate further drama. In any event, I hope any trade "negotiations" remain in limbo for awhile. Lets see what we actually have already at least for a couple of months.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
What did I just say? We won't have enough cap space. And their teams won't let them walk for nothing, much like Denver is doing now.

They will be traded. And we won't have any assets to trade.

Sheesh. Why do I bother?

In a cap reduced environment don't you think those expiring contracts will be worth something?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
In a cap reduced environment don't you think those expiring contracts will be worth something?

Of course they will have value. But are you implying the expiring contracts of Felton and Turiaf will be enough to trade for CP3 or Deron? I think it will take a lot more. Like draft picks and young talent. Which we are giving away for Melo.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
As is the usual case, I am in agreement with LJ4ptplay. The acquisition of Melo with the loss of Gallo, Randolph, and Chandler -- with one of them going for a first round pick -- will make us a better team at least in the short run. But we will be cap-stressed going forward, have no assets for other trades, and bored for several years on draft day. We will have no room for further growth. We will also be expecting a lot from Mozgov, Felton, Douglas. Azibuike, Walker and Fields or whomever may be left after an acquisition of Melo. We will not beat the Lakers, the Heat, or the Celtics, who have perhaps two years of prime time play left. Oklahoma City, Chicago, Milwaukee, Portland and even the Wizards appear to have interesting futures. Even with Melo, I would put us behind not only the Lakers, the Heat and the Celtics, but also Oklahoma City, Chicago, and Portland.

Given the apparent state of CBA negotiations, it is certainly likely that future player contracts will be reduced, making it to Melo's great advantage to sign his extension now. This is not the NHL. I do not expect imposed discounts on current contracts. I do not think Melo intends to forego a contract under the current CBA.

The Knicks, for PR purposes, cannot let the Nets get Melo. Unfortunately I expect we will have to gut the team to get Melo. I expect that to be the route taken.

I am disappointed in Gallo's performance and concerned that he is not going to get much better than he was last year. Randolph does not appear to profit much from his other-worldly athleticism. But I have not given up on them and I would like to grow the "team" over time rather than have merely a contending team with two real stars and not much else. Besides, I wonder how well Amar'e and Melo can share the ball.

Because I do not think Melo will wait for free agency, part of me wants Chicago to step up and get Melo so that we can eliminate further drama. In any event, I hope any trade "negotiations" remain in limbo for awhile. Lets see what we actually have already at least for a couple of months.

I can always count on you, Oldtimer, as a voice of reason.

You're right. We have to do this trade for PR purposes only. Donnie, the king of patience, is probably very frustrated that he has to trade for Melo now when he could just sign him next year. He did all that planning for the future (creating cap space and collecting young talent) and didn't "live in the now" as Isiah did in ruining this franchise.

But if Melo went to the Nets, he would be crucified by the media and fans so he has to do it to save himself. I'm sure he is aware of the best plan to build a championship contender (i.e. wait a year) and it certainly isn't selling the farm for one player and sacrificing all future flexibility and assets.