Official 2017 NBA Draft Thread - June 22

Broadway

All Star
Alan Hahn has some doubts about Fultz. Has concerns about what he won't do rather than what he can do. Played on a bad team but he helped them being bad. Ainge likes character guys that hustle I think more than guys with raw talent maybe he takes Jackson number 1, he picked Brown last year at 3 which most thought was a stretch.

http://www.msgnetworks.com/videos/is-markelle-fultz-a-good-fit-for-the-knicks

I haven't changed my thinking, for Boston it's gonna be Fultz or Jackson based on who they feel best fits their team. Both can work but my gut says Ainge will go with Jackson once they bring these guys in face-to-face.

mafra

Legend
Maybe Willy or a Knick old timer?

De'Aaron Fox gave a really good interview on NBAtv moments ago at combine, real cool kid. Supposedly he's been a "media darling"

Calipari recently raved about both Fox and Monk.... he said he thinks Fox is as fast as Wall and Bledsoe, although they both say he isn't. He said Fox, like KAT, are hotel room guys (meaning they don't get caught up in the lifestyle or off court drama... they work hard and stay in their rooms).

mafra

Legend
Ex-Kentucky point guard De'Aaron Fox met with Knicks president Phil Jackson on Wednesday before the start of the NBA Combine, and the topic of the triangle offense and New York's star Kristaps Porzingis emerged.

"I've seen it," Fox said to The Post. "I don't know too much about the triangle. Everyone says it's hard to learn. But if I have to go in there and have to play in it, I'll learn quickly. And Porzingis, he's amazing. Watching him, what he did this year - I really paid attention to the NBA this year because I'm about to go into this business - man, he's great. If I'm able to play with him, I feel we can do something special."

Maybe I just haven't been reading the right mock drafts until today, but suddenly I'm seeing Lauri Markkanen, the 7 foot stretch-4 from Arizona, listed as a top 10 pick. Anyone buying that?

PJ says we are looking for either a guard or a wing in the draft. Well, good news for us, since there are 6 guards (Fultz, Ball, Monk, Smith, Fox, Ntilikina) and 3 potential wings (Jackson, Tatum, Isaac) projected in the top 10 pretty much across the board. Seems like this draft is going to be a real head scratcher for the teams in the top 10 that want a legit big man and maybe that's why Markkanen is now getting projected top 10.

Last edited:
Also, I've been running the ESPN mock draft simulator over and over just for fun:

http://www.espn.com/nba/lottery2017/mockdraft

When we stay in the 7th or 8th spot (as the odds would suggest), we tend to end up with De'Aaron Fox the most and then less often end up with Jayson Tatum. In the rare instance, we move up to the 3rd pick, we essentially always end up with Josh Jackson. In the even rarer instance we move up to 1 or 2, ESPN has us always ending up with Lonzo Ball, regardless of whether we get the 1st or 2nd pick.

mafra

Legend
I think it all depends on who picks where... you know. With all these guards and wings, it boils down to what a team likes/covets/needs....

Looking for an orchestrator? A scorer? Crave athletcism and versatility?

I have heard many talk about that C from ARI.... given BOS needs in the middle, they could reach for him or Isaac.

PHI is a ? to me.... if they want to play Simmons at PG, they could use a shooter like Monk or a wing like Tatum to compliment their current roster.

Fultz and Ball are the supposed top 2 picks, but each have enough warts that a team could get scared off.

Minny...? What direction should they go? Isaac and KAT? Bring in Fox or Smith? Tough call.

Lakers have Russell and will target both George and Westbrook, so might Jax make a lot of sense?

There's so much talent in this draft.... sitting 1-8 means you get a real, legit prospect, NYK could get lucky and end up with top pick.... get Fultz.... and he's a bust.

NYK could even fall to 8, and somehow Fox falls.... or they take the French PG or Isaac, and they end up with best of this draft class.

Can't wait until Tue.... just want to see this org finally catch a break.

To me, Fultz - Jax - Fox would be ideal.... otherwise, French PG, Isaac, or Smith at 7.

Broadway

All Star
There is talk right now that after the Combine...Fox may move ahead the likes of Ball. Philly loved him in their interviews. Trust me guys how the current Mocks have the Top 5 picks slated, they're going to be pretty close to accurate. They may get the order wrong but the players are more than likely correct. Unless we land in the Top 5 Tuesday we won't have a shot at them unless we're aggressive with trading.

Translation...we have no shot at Fox unless we get fortunate Tuesday

P.J. Dozier continued to test well in other areas from the combine. We really need to keep an eye on him. I think he's going to be what Michael Carter Williams should have been

mafra

Legend
I'm with you.... I think Fox should be the top pick; I take his attitude and defensive ability over the incredibly-gifted scoring ability of Fultz.... and I take his athleticism over Ball.

If NYK lands top pick and take Fox.... I'm cool with that.

You can even argue that Jax and Isaac are more talented, all around talents, over Fultz and Ball.

I think these are the first 5 picks (with only BOS taking the C from AZ as a possible wrinkle).... thus, 6-8 is probably Tatum, Smith, Monk, French PG options.

Anywhere, as is evidently clear, there are 10 prospects that are all better than what CLE was stuck with that year they took Bennett.

Broadway

All Star
I'm with you.... I think Fox should be the top pick; I take his attitude and defensive ability over the incredibly-gifted scoring ability of Fultz.... and I take his athleticism over Ball.

If NYK lands top pick and take Fox.... I'm cool with that.

You can even argue that Jax and Isaac are more talented, all around talents, over Fultz and Ball.

I think these are the first 5 picks (with only BOS taking the C from AZ as a possible wrinkle).... thus, 6-8 is probably Tatum, Smith, Monk, French PG options.

Anywhere, as is evidently clear, there are 10 prospects that are all better than what CLE was stuck with that year they took Bennett.

Fran Frschilla thinks Monk is included in 5 stars from this draft, the player the panel left off Combine Friday was Jackson(which I found stunning). I think they listed Ball/Fultz/Fox/Isaac/Monk. They did a lottery mock that day and they were unsure with some picks, so I felt they hadn't done enough homework quite yet.

Some players already have workouts scheduled come Monday. If Fultz's knee is okay he's still the best guard and I think everyone knows this.

Here's a hilarious video of him interacting with kids...:teeth::teeth::teeth:

Kiyaman

Legend
If Boston gets first pick .. 6.6 Lonzo Ball will be the Celtricks combo 6th man off the bench next season.
Practically all the Lottery teams in the 2017 draft (exempt Boston) will go after a PG with their first pick.
Yep! The Knicks will need the 4th pick to pull one of the top PG out of the draft

mafra

Legend
Well, here we are.... we literally have hours to go before we find out where we sit. We still have hope for a little while longer...

Starting this time tomorrow and moving forward thru the summer... anger, disappointment, blood boiling manic frustration settles in....

The air will be let out of the room when we see NYK logo pop up at 8th or 7th....

Please NBA, NYK will release Melo if you go hand NYK the top spot!

Still, could it be? Is there finally a victory in store for us long-suffering fans? Can we make it to 6th and not see our logo? Knowing that means we land in top 3? I don't even care 1-2-or-3....

It's fun to have hope.... because reality is chugging towards us, bells ringing, lights flashing and whistle blowing.... we know that slap is coming when we fall to 8 and then Minny jumps to #1.

Alright, back to the draft thread.

We got a lot of time to think this one through, but who is likely to still be there for us at #8? Are we talking Malik Monk or Frank Ntilikina if we had to guess at this point? Maybe Dennis Smith or Jonathan Isaac?

If the draft was held today, I'm guessing Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Tatum, and Fox are the top 5 picks. Again, a lot is going to change, I'm just talking for now.