Official 2017 NBA Draft Thread - June 22

Broadway

All Star
Alright, back to the draft thread.

We got a lot of time to think this one through, but who is likely to still be there for us at #8? Are we talking Malik Monk or Frank Ntilikina if we had to guess at this point? Maybe Dennis Smith or Jonathan Isaac?

If the draft was held today, I'm guessing Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Tatum, and Fox are the top 5 picks. Again, a lot is going to change, I'm just talking for now.

We're probably getting the French Kid although Sac could play the GSW/Curry role on us. They need a transcending guard badly like us. I like Frank but if he's gone I think Smith is going to there for the taking

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Top 6 is probably some order of Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Fox, Tatum, and Isaac

At 8 I think we'll be able to pick at least one out of Ntilikina, Monk, or Dennis Smith Jr. I think all three have potential to be great. Ntilikina has size, length, and a good shot. Monk is athletic and a good scorer. Smith is the most athletic player in the draft. Dude has all sorts of hops

Just not Markkanen. Please...not Markkanen

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks will pick a PG, we already have our Markkanen in KP.

Remember what PJ said at his presser, he's not looking for guys that can jump out of the building but for guys that can play in a team setting, he also likes his PGs to have size and to be able to defend. I think the Knicks reach for Frank N. over Smith.

mafra

Legend
First round order

1. Boston - FULTZ
2. L.A. Lakers - BALL
3. Philadelphia - FOX
4. Phoenix - TATUM
5. Sacramento - JACKSON
6. Orlando - SMITH
7. Minnesota - iSAAC / MONK
8. New York - French PG

I think PHI falls for FOX, and I believe ORL has set their sights on SMITH. Question remains then: will PHO and SAC go BPA.... grab the wing?

Also, who reaches for the big first? Isaac, C for Ari or Gonzaga? Could NY be so lucky that a big goes top 7?

In the above scenario, what direction would Minny go?

I see our choice being narrowed down to Isaac, Monk or French PG or trading out.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
We'll either be able to get Monk or Ntilikina

Let's be honest, usually every draft there's a team that reaches and takes a 7-footer way earlier than they're supposed to. Hopefully it's not us

If Phil is looking for players who can facilitate, shoot, and defend, I honestly think Ntilikina will be our best bet. Monk reminds me a lot of Jamal Crawford (complete with Crawford's shortcomings) and Dennis Smith Jr. is athletic as hell but I don't know if he can actually run an offense or shoot. In today's NBA a good outside shot is absolutely critical for any guard, and let's be honest, we haven't had a guard who can defend since...well...a long time ago

Ntilikina would instantly be a huge upgrade to our backcourt defense and from film he certainly looks like he has potential. Chad Ford seems to like Ntilikina...and let's keep in mind that Chad Ford was, like, the one guy who thought that Porzingis should go over Okafor. Hopefully he's right on this one as well. Honestly Ntilikina's game has the fewest flaws in it - he's a well-rounded player that doesn't have any glaring weaknesses and if he was playing college he'd probably be head of guys like Smith and Monk

tiger0330

Legend
Here are the 8th picks since the 2000 draft. I don't think any of these guys have been the kind of transformative player the Knicks need but the list includes some solid players notably Jamal and Rudy Gay. Don't expect a miracle like drafting IT with the 60th pick, most likely you won't get one.

Marquese Chriss
Stanley Johnson
Nik Stauskas
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Terrence Ross
Brandon Knight
Al-Farouq Aminu
Jordan Hill
Joe Alexander
Brandan Wright
Rudy Gay
Channing Frye
Rafael Araujo
T.J. Ford
Chris Wilcox
DeSagana Diop
Jamal Crawford

Broadway

All Star
Philly didnt really win big tonight..... LAK was the big winner. If LA fell out of top 3, PHI gets their pick this year and ORL gets their first rounder in 2019.

If you're PHILLY.... would you prefer the 4th pick in this draft plus another top 10 pick or would you rather just have the 3rd pick?

Now, I love FOX, so if they take him.... darn it! But this is the team that took Okafor over KP.... they'll blow this pick.

Right now, if NYK get Monk or Fox.... we won big time. If we get Smith, Frenchie or Isaac.... we got a good prospect.

Isaac would be perfect fit next to KP!

Anyway, Monk or Smith or Fox could be just as good as Ball or Fox.

And.... we still get a top pick next year!

Watch Phil trade 8th pick for 13 and 19 then draft two 4 year seniors.

But, there's a great chance we get a 10 years starter.... knowing NYK tho, Fox goes 3rd and then Monk goes 7th.... both are studs.... then we get the bust between Isaac, Smith, Frenchie.

That's a great question Maf, let me ask it to you in a different way...

Would you rather have DeAaron Fox or French Kid and Isaac?

Keep in mind Philly has 4 picks in the 2nd round alone. Like how many more young players do they need at this point. Me personally I want the pick because the Knicks situation is so different than Philly's. I'm bummed to the extent we almost have to keep #kporzee at this point because our trade options at 8 are pretty limited.

I'm kind of in trade down mode if we work out guys but aren't extremely sold on anyone. I wonder if Portland would do Pick 8 for #15, #20, #26?

Boston is probably keeping their pick because the asking price would be all levels of insanity for Ainge after what he went through with Jordan 2yrs ago. Boston immediately said "they are picking BPA but haven't identified who that is yet"

Broadway

All Star
If Fran Fraschilla is correct we're not getting Monk.

I talked to a guy yesterday who I work with(he played collegiate ball where I'm from), who led the nation in steals 2yrs ago. He's played against a few of these guys in various circles. He said he thinks Boston should take Tatum(NBA Ready right now) but thinks Monk is going to be the best player in this draft. I was surprised by his reasoning but some of it made sense.

Looking how the draft shaped up we're not getting any blue chip guard(Fox/Fultz/Ball/Monk) all will be off the board in some fashion. I mean Sac/Philly/Lakers/Phx all need really good guards. Bledsoe is not a long term answer, neither is Knight. I gotta believe Phx is hoping they can get Monk or Fox because of the Kentucky ties(Booker). These guys are closer to Book's generation. Orlando IMO can help us somewhat if a guard is still on board when they pick, I think they are looking for a stretch guy(Tatum would be ideal, maybe Isaac)

Minnesota has Rubio/Dunn(waiting)/Jones they won't draft a guard unless they fall in love with someone like Frank who would fit Thibs MO. So they'll get Tatum or Isaac if they're on the board, that's what they need.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
You know we all are going to start dreaming of somehow landing Monk..... he's the best shooter in the draft..... He'll turn out to be another Curry.... he'll last thru the first 6 picks.... we all will start to get giddy..... then MIN will select Monk at 7 (and he'll be a star).

tiger0330

Legend
Crazy hypothetical question. Do you offer Porzingis to either Boston or the Lakers for their pick?
Phil should have that as an option imo. You stand a much better chance of getting a stud at 1 or 2 than 8, Mafra made the point that KP has 2 years exp and you don't trade someone who has proved himself in the league for a 19 yr old unknown, so the Celts would have to give up someone like Brown or Smart and that pick before I would do that deal. The Knicks have so many holes they have to fill, I think it would be worth the risk of losing someone with KP's potential for some more quality assets.

mafra

Legend
To get Ball/Fox/Fultz and Jaylen Brown for KP? I think you have to do that deal....

How about Melo and 8 for LAK's pick!

tiger0330

Legend
To get Ball/Fox/Fultz and Jaylen Brown for KP? I think you have to do that deal....

How about Melo and 8 for LAK's pick!
That's a little harder, have to trade Melo for about 20M in salary. Lakers would love to shed Mozgov and Deng's contract, so it might be a win win for both teams. They would miss out on Ball but I still think the guy is going to have problems shooting off the dribble going right with that shooting motion of his, we'll see if he's as good as people think he is.

Broadway

All Star
Crazy hypothetical question. Do you offer Porzingis to either Boston or the Lakers for their pick?

I would but his value isn't quite there, matter of fact I'm not sure Boston nor the Lakers accept Towns for their picks. 2yrs ago Ainge offered Jordan the farm for pick 9. Guess who Ainge wanted? It was Kaminsky! Guess who Kaminsky reminds us of...Olynyk! Connect the dots. Ainge said Jordan wouldn't take his offer and Ainge said it was a rich one, one in which he probably offered too much in hindsight. There's a major difference between pick #9 and #1

So once again it's going to take a lot to get #1 or #2, overwhelming opinions reveal there are multiple bonafied stars in this draft, thus an offer to come off said pick(s) has to be substantial.

Phil can offer #kporzee...I hope he does but he's going to get rejected

Broadway

All Star
Remember Phx was offering Bledsoe and #13 2yrs ago and no team bit on it in the lottery? We discussed this very trade on here. Boston many yrs ago offered Paul Pierce and I believe their lst pick(forget the spot) to Portland for pick ? in 2004 or 2005? His target was Chris Paul but Portland didn't budge. Why?

What did Sacramento get for Cousins(Who'll Make an All NBA Team)?

It doesn't work the way we think when we have an asset(s) we personally covet, especially when an asset is on a bad team. We have draft history to look at, teams have made offers for top picks yr after yr after yr but ask yourselves why are they rarely if ever traded? It's because the asking price is too rich. We've had plenty drafts where teams who had the #1/#2 pick clearly should've traded the pick and didn't...

(Bennett/Oladipo/Williams/MKG/Turner/Thabeet/Beasley/Oden) All these guys were picked either #1/#2 past decade... ask yourselves why the pick(s) weren't traded. Don't say "well they should've drafted a better player"(obviously they could've) but they also could've have received future lucrative assets too, far better than the player they selected...correct?

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
#kporzee draft night value

Portland #15, #20, #26

Sacramento #5, #34 (similar to when Boston traded Ray Allen for pick #5 and #35). I think we can all agree #kporzee is not better than near prime Ray Allen

Orlando #6, #25 (may have to offer some filler, Orlando wanted him 2yrs ago btw)

Phx #4, #32

Philly #3, #36 (they don't need him though)

Bucks #17, Jabari Parker (may need some asset tweaking due to his ACL injury, although #kporzee has been limp himself)

paris401

Starter
u r not getting 'dick' for Me-Lo... pjax has made sure that his value is next to nothing... I don't envision any top tier team taking him, and the lower tier's already suck without adding 27+ mill to the payroll... if we can;t trade him for more then a bag of beans, the best solution is to cut him... we'll save 17+ mill next year and 19+ the following year... we r what they would call ... up the creek with no paddle...

Kiyaman

Legend
Phil should have that as an option imo. You stand a much better chance of getting a stud at 1 or 2 than 8, Mafra made the point that KP has 2 years exp and you don't trade someone who has proved himself in the league for a 19 yr old unknown, so the Celts would have to give up someone like Brown or Smart and that pick before I would do that deal. The Knicks have so many holes they have to fill, I think it would be worth the risk of losing someone with KP's potential for some more quality assets.

KP weak 2 yr experience = 20 to 30 pick .. STOP putting KP potential with the NBA big-boys bcuz he shoot 3 balls .. KP average a weak 16/7 receiving 32 min per game in 2 seasons ...at the start of the 2016-17 regular season i mention rookie Willy will be more NBA ready than KP will be in his 2nd season which turn out I was right. KP played 66 weak games b4 getting injured in midseason again, showing no signs of improvement on offense/defense nor any signs developing inside the paint area during the 2016-17 regular season.

Karl-Anthony Towns 2 yr experience shows a high potential super-star in the making.
Philly's Embiid little action showed to be a future NBA super-star center.
King's Willie Cauley-Stein has develop into two-way double-double rim protector 54% FG center, after the All-Star game when Cousins got traded to NO Pelicans .. WCS is a future NBA star role-player.
Boston's Olynyk develop into a 2 way center being a hard hustling ox in the paint, and quick soft shooter on perimeter averaging 51% FG .. future NBA star role-player.
The Wolves/76ers/Kings/Celtricks has lottery-picks plus has a 60% chance of making 2017-18 playoffs .. I can not say the same for my Knicks.

Hypothetically speaking .. If GS Warriors were to trade 6th man Shaun Livingston on draft night for a 1 to 10 pick how high would he go?
The Kings got two picks, if the Kings had the option to give-up the 10th pick for a playoff experience star role-player Shaun Livingston they would, plus having a selection of Josh Jackson or Fox/Monk in the 2017 draft would put Kings in better shape than they been in years.

Kiyaman

Legend
u r not getting 'dick' for Me-Lo... pjax has made sure that his value is next to nothing... I don't envision any top tier team taking him, and the lower tier's already suck without adding 27+ mill to the payroll... if we can;t trade him for more then a bag of beans, the best solution is to cut him... we'll save 17+ mill next year and 19+ the following year... we r what they would call ... up the creek with no paddle...

To say Phil Jackson did not envision our future being the way it is today when he made the Tyson Chandler trade then resigning Melo to a $125M contract .. then the Phil Jackson we receive is not the person with championship rings backing his name.